Monday, 10 April 2017

Reading my books - One Two, Buckle My Shoe

It is interesting to see - or rather read - a little of the way Agatha Christie's mind worked as I read more of her books.  She was certainly fascinated with the world of spies and intrigue of the underworld!  One Two, Buckle My Shoe certainly came into this category.  There were lots of twists and turns and in the end it was all resolved with facts that we sort of knew, but didn't really and all of which related to goings on that are kept from most of the world.


The blurb reads "Hercule Poirot disliked his dentist....  But one of his patients liked Mr Morley even less - and shot him just after Poirot left his office.  Was it the mysterious unpleasant Greek?  The wild young American who looked like a murderer?  The rich banker?  Or the ex actress with the buckle on her shoe?"

Well of course as the book goes on we work through the stories of these and some other characters too.  The chapters work through the poem One Two, buckle my shoe, and by the time we get to Nineteen Twenty, my plate is empty the story is resolved and all becomes clear to the reader.

We discover quite quickly that Mr Morley has indeed been shot, but who by. Was it suicide, but if so, what of the other events that follow.  Then there is of course some misdirection, or is it a double bluff, are things that are supposed to look twisted around actually as plain as they might at first thought to be.

I enjoyed reading this book.  It tells the story over quite a period of time, but once it gets past the first few pages it is quite fast paced and keeps moving along well.  The ending was good, not too odd, and not to drawn out before we got there either.  I don't remember ever seeing the dramatized TV version of this one, so I had no idea "who dunnit" and I didn't guess either as we were kept guessing and kept being fed new information right up to the very end of the book.

I would rate this story as an 8 out of 10.  So I definitely recommend it.  My copy is off to the charity shop as I don't need to read it again, but I hope that someone else will and will enjoy it too.

Next up is - finally over a year since I bought it - my book about Norwegian Wood Chopping.  Now that is going to be an interesting read and review isn't it!

You can find my other book reviews here or by clicking the Reading My Books link at the top right of the sidebar.

Amy

26 comments:

  1. I have taken to reading Agatha Christie too. At the moment I am reading Miss Marple. Thirteen Problems.

    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what fun reading Agatha Christie - they are such clever books. I read them incessantly as a young adult - I should try it again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of her short stories - some not seen before have been republished recently. I came across one on the library van.
    Many many years since I read her earlier books I'm enjoying your reviews to remind me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've reminded me I haven't read an Agatha Christie for years and years. I should dust one down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, those two books are pretty much complete opposites. Ha! I really enjoy dramatizations of Agatha Christie's work, but I quit reading when I always figured it out very early in the book; once even from the blurb on the book. So I found your discussion very interesting and you have succeeded at making me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Norwegian Wood Chopping??? That will be interesting indeed! Have a great week Amy.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting review Amy, you make me want to read Agatha Christie again. I'd stopped reading them many years ago as the style became too familiar. I don't think we have it on our bookshelves so I may order it from the library. I've joined book clubs on-line before with the intention of discussing books but people don't like spoilers. Such a shame as it's nice to read a review etc. I belong to a local book club and the book for this month is 'The Girl Who Came Back' by Susan Lewis. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not much of a mystery reader, but I may have to give this one a try. It sounds like it doesn't get too gory and moves along rather well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never read an Agatha Christy book thoughhave seen quite a few dramas on TV, what an intelligent and interesting lady she must have been xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw the tv show with David Poirot, but have never read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds good & I keep saying I must get AC books from the library, then forget all about it. Maybe a list would be a good idea. The only one I've read was great. Thanks & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a page-turner, Amy! Love Agatha Christie, but have never read this one. Thanks for the review. Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. We've been watching the old Poirot show on Netflix and really enjoy it. I think I would like the books too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to love reading Agatha Christie......think it's time I re read her books now! Thanks for the review of this one Amy.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Snap! I'm reading this book at the moment. I'm glad you enjoyed it, to be honest I'm not enjoying it as much as some of her others. It's definitely keeping me guessing though, I haven't got an inkling of how it's going to end yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Dearest! You're still being so good with your reading! I hope to get back to gobbling up books one of these days. Maybe this summer? Life and being too tired never seems to allow me the time I want (plus too many projects also) Lol!

    So read lots extra for me and keep up the great work! Blessings on this Easter week ahead! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always find visiting your blog very soothing. I'm not sure I've ever read any Agatha Christie, just watched them as a child and loved them. I may pick up a copy now I've read your recommendation. Hope all's good with you xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you enjoyed your book. I'm slowly working my way through the bookshelves too and not putting the books back on the shelf after!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know she live in our village and is buried in the churchyard but I have never read her books. Tesco for Harry hopalot you might even find a broken one like me

    ReplyDelete
  20. about 25 years ago (or so) I read all of the Agatha Christie books as a reading challenge. I love her writing style and how I was trying to figure out who did it. I might have to re read them again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember reading Ten Little Indians many, many years ago. At least I think that was Agatha Christie's book. She writes great books but I don't think I've ready any of hers since then. I just don't read much anymore which is a shame, I love a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  22. AC was such a prolific author wasn't she. A real one of a kind.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I have read all books of Agatha Christie, first in German, later in French and now in English, lol ! I started when I was 18 or 19 and have a whole collection in French, so badly translated that it made me laugh. A toast they had translated with roasted beef, so think about your breakfast and what you put on your toast (roasted beef) lol ! Of course meanwhile the new books are perfect but nearly 60 years ago there were not many good translators.

    ReplyDelete
  24. One of my favorite Christies. I'm rereading The Blue Train right now.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have re-read loads of Agatha Christie novels this past winter and have really enjoyed them. I don't think I've ever read this one though, but I already know that I'll enjoy it. Thanks for the review. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx