Wednesday, 1 March 2017

Paint Monthly

I am delighted to be able to join back in this month with Barbara who hosts Paint Monthly.  It has been a while, but once again I am organised, I am also organised for next month too!  You can find the other posts here at Coastal Ripples.  Thank you for hosting Barbara.

So, what do I have to share with you this month.

I love to be able to share the paintings that we have at Basildon Park, so my next two choices are both paintings which reside there.  This month it is a picture of King Charles II painted by Sir Peter Lely.  Sorry the picture is a little grainy, the light has not been good!


Lely lived from 1618 to 1680.  We don't know the date the picture was painted, but it is thought that it is mid 17th Century.  King Charles II lived from 1630 to 1685, and the painting shows him in his ceremonial armour with his crown beside him.

The reason the painting has come to Basildon Park is an interesting one, and it is this aspect of the picture that I wanted to share with you.

King Charles daughter, Lady Charlotte Fitzroy, married Sir Henry Lee of Ditchfield, he went on to become 1st Earl Litchfield after being given the honour by King Charles II.  Their descendant Lady Charlotte Lee married Henry, 11th Viscount Dillon in 1744.

Many years later, Lady Iliffe's sister Irene married Michael 20th Viscount Dillon.  Lord and Lady Edward Langton Iliffe were the last owners of Basildon Park.  The Dillon family lost their family home Ditchley Park many years before the marriage between Irene and Michael, so they had many items of furniture and paintings etc to find homes for.  They decided therefore to loan a number of paintings and some furniture to Lord and Lady Iliffe to furnish a room at Basildon Park, and they continue to loan these items to the National Trust.

So, in a roundabout way Basildon Park is now able to display these paintings and a bed.  These are all housed in a bedroom and when Irene and Michael came to say they used this bedroom!

It is quite a tale to try and get your head around, but it means that we have some lovely paintings on display and they tell more of the Iliffe family story and that of their extended family.

I find it so interesting that a painting can tell us so much not only about the picture itself, but the journey that it has been on.

I wonder if you have any pictures that have been on long journeys like this one?  Do share if you have.

Amy

20 comments:

  1. That is a handsome man and painting, interesting history as well. Look at his hair - or maybe it's a wig!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is quite a tale. And Charles was an interesting guy - though I do think the Stuarts were a troublesome lot in many ways. ABAB must get to Basildon Park!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! What an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a painting and what a story. Hope you're oding well.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The royals do have some incredible tales don't they? Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting post. In the USA, we don't have many tales like this and it is fascinating to hear such detailed history of the passing down of furniture, paintings and such. I'm afraid we don't cherish our history as much as we should.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting tale, I often think that most paintings would have a tale to tell if they could.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very historic painting. My kind of art, both interesting and beautiful.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is always a delight to know more about the history or story behind a painting. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely way to furnish your home. Reminds me of a line in Downton Abbey "your lot buys new furniture, our lot inherits it". The painting is such a treasure.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's such a shame when a collection gets broken up or if one rogue member of the family loses it through excess, so this is a happy ending for the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love work by Peter Lely. At one stage my family had a set of Peter Lely place mats. Thank you for joining Paint Monthly this time. The more the merrier. B x

    ReplyDelete
  13. An interesting story about the painting and the reason for its presence in Basildon Park.
    Now the public can enjoy seeing this interesting old painting on loan from the Dillon family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heavens no! We have no real history such as you folks do! I still do not have my head bent around that story...I'd have to sketch it to get it and I might! Is this the king killed by Cromwell? Blast! Now you have me doing history lessons. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well now THAT story was fascinating. Your king had the throne restored to him after his father Charles l lost his life. So aren't you glad that I did my own research? This is the trouble with blogging...one thing always leads to another.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed reading about the history of the painting and how it came to be at Basildon. King Charles was rather a tragic figure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was interesting, Amy, and I liked the painting.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Charles II is such a colourful character and I've enjoyed the story behind the painting. It's good that the painting and other items have been saved and can still be seen by the many visitors to Basildon Park:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an interesting story Amy, and a wonderfully historic painting. Charles II looks a lot like Charles I in the Van Dyke paintings, but of course, he is his own man!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just look at that wig and the facial hair he's got going on!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx