Tuesday, 17 January 2017

Reading My Books - Once in a Lifetime

I know, another Danielle book!  I promise though that the more of them I read the more I reduce the pile and eventually I will turn to reading other things.  The next group that I have selected includes another of hers I think, along with two by Maeve Binchy and another Agatha Christy and something rather left field, a book about Siegfried Sassoon.  So it will be a eclectic mix going forward.  I have already started my next book which is a book about Hygge.

You know that I much prefer the older Danielle Steel books, this one, Once in a Lifetime, was published originally in 1982 and it definitely shows that this is one of her early works.  In a good way.


The story is long, has a very short beginning and a very short ending, but the bit in the middle is good and tells a good story.  Of course as these books always are it is about loves hard fought for, lost and then won again.  This time the story of a writer Daphne Fields, her marriage and then other lost loves before finding her true love.  There is a good dose of tragedy - several in fact which wasn't so good when I was reading this as I was in the midst of my own tragedy - but things come good in the end.  In fact, thinking about it, this is basically one tragedy leading to another, unrelated, one!  The book also bears no resemblance to anything in the story.  I don't know what that is all about.

The book is set in New York with visits to Boston and then Los Angeles.  While I have never been to New York I could certainly picture it in my mind from the descriptions and could also easily imagine the small New England town that is described.  Very much, in my mind of course, like one we visited a few years ago when we went on holiday to Boston and New Hampshire.

In a way it is another silly formulaic story, but in another it is a nice gentle and kind read.  No bad language, nothing graphic and nothing awful and right now these sorts of books suit me down to the ground.  I have said before that I don't want my books to challenge me just for the sake of challenging me.  I have enough real life challenges to face.  This wasn't a challenge, it was comfort and that is OK with me.

Would you enjoy this book?  Yes, I think you would.  If you haven't given any of the older books by Steel a chance you should.  They really are different from the more current ones and are, I think, much better written with better stories.

What is happening to my copy.  Well this one is being passed to someone who asked to read it when they saw me reading it.  From there I know they will send it to the charity shop, and if I wasn't passing it to them that is what I would do with it.  Not because it is a bad book, but my usual space issue.  I enjoyed it once, but don't need to read it again.

At this rate I will be reading far more than I did last year, which I just went and checked on and I wrote 17 reviews for books I had read or listened to in 2016 and in 2015 there were 15 so things are increasing.  Perhaps I will get to 19 or even a magic 20 this year!  Overall I am doing more than the one a month that I have been hoping for.

I am two books down so far this year.  What about you?  How is your reading coming along?  Do share and tell us what is on your bedside table, in your bag or travelling along with you.

Amy

27 comments:

  1. No, I'm not reading any books like that, but do dip in & out of my reference books, of which some have interesting stories too. Enjoy your reading, have a good week & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when the covers don't fit with the storyline! It is a pet peeve of mine. I love to read and try to read and write a review at least one per week. My goodreads goal is 52 books for 2017.

    I also don't reread books. I pass them along to the next person for their enjoyment.

    I really enjoyed your review even though I think I've only read one Danielle book in my life :)

    Enjoy your reading time! It is a nice escape from everyday reality.

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm half way through the Essex Serpent which I'm enjoying, but I've never read any Danielle Steele

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read Danielle Steele now but have read in the past 1-2 books of hers. Just finished the 4th by Elena Ferrante - The Story of a Lost Child. I found it excellent. At the moment I read a lot Finnish writers... They are so good but of course not much joy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to keep track of my reading on Goodreads and posting it on my blog. I'm not doing too badly reading this year. I just haven't attacked my pile(s) of books in my house. I went to the library and ended up getting a stack from there. Sigh. So I have decided that my reading goal this year is to read the books in my house. I will admit to keeping some, but I am planning on reading and purging a lot of them from the house.

    Most of the read books that I want to get rid of end up at our library bookshop. The money they raise gets used for library programs. My middle son attended one when he was a teen and it really, really helped him. It was a bright spot in his teen life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Should I read Danielle Steele..? Not sure, but 'tis said you should never reject anything (almost) without giving it a try. The Sassoon biography should be fascinating 'Mad Jack' - interesting guy. I'm currently enjoying an excellent Ian Rankin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly reading is once again on the back burner as packing is taking priority at the moment. Sadly a whole lot of books are now going to the charity shop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about having a gentle read. There are times when I want to go deep into a story, to be challenged. But other times I just want comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Amy
    You can't beat curling up with a good book, can you? I hope you keep enjoying what you read this year.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Amy. I used the website you suggested to make a really nice blog button. It was perfect except for the grab code box that was too wide for my sidebar. There didn't seem to be a way to make it smaller. I notice you don't use the code boxes. I suppose I could just add my button as an image that leads to my blog. Would that work, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to read Danielle Steele all the time but found the books repetitive in knowing what to expect. Lately I've been reading mysteries by Colleen Coble on loan from our library.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My eyes are saved mostly for reading blogs of which I read way too many, though I am reading plenty of non-fiction, which is my preferred genre. I am glad that you are finding time to follow something you enjoy so well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started reading The Essex Serpent last night and so far so good, It was a Christmas present from my son to my daughter and she kindly passed it to me when she finished. I speed-read a Hygge book recently (it was by Charlotte someone and had a navy blue cover decorated with disconcerting fuzzy felt triangles) and to be honest I could not understand what all the fuss was about - everyone I know does hyggeling without even trying. I'm afraid I've never read any Danielle Steel, my comfort reading is often Jane Austen or Barbara Pym both of whom I can re-read ad infinitum and both of whom enjoyed hyggeling, if their letters are anything to go by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you like Danielle Steele! I've always liked her books too. And look at you - the rock star reader!! Great job Lady. I need to step up my game yet. I finished one book in January so far - but I had started it in December so not too good. Lol!
    Blessings Sweetie. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband gave me a Kindle Fire for Christmas so I have been downloading free books like crazy! Right now I am reading the third book in a series called The Legacy. It isn't terrifically well written but it is entertaining and easy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you for getting the reading done.. I haven't read a word since I finished my last two.. "The Girl on the Cliff" and "The Orchid House" by Lucinda Riley.. both very good. We're in the middle of an ice storm.. can't wait for some better weather. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Read Danielle Steel years ago. Right now in the middle of The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead and enjoying it immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have read a couple of her books years ago and enjoyed them, but got annoyed with the second one when it used an endearing name the same as the last book only with different characters. Isn't that a silly thing to be annoyed about :) At any rate, maybe someday I will try another of her books...remembering to look for one of her early stories as you suggested. Another blogger was given a copy of Tiny Churches [in England] so I downloaded a Kindle copy and am enjoying reading it with my British map close by. I am getting exposed to a bit of history and geography and am rather fascinated to note how old and solid some of the churches are. Happy reading, Amy...I like to read happily ever after stories best :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Amy! Oh, another good book review! You're really tempting me to go get a book to read! :) Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Books will be a good friend for all:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember reading Danielle Steele when I was in high school with my friends. We thought we were so grown up reading her novels. This year I'm hoping to really improve on my reading and finish at least one book a month. At the moment I'm about to finish Elena Ferrante's 'My Brilliant Friend'. I have 'The Trouble with Goats and Sheep' lined up after it. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just read my first Danielle Steele book in years, Sisters. It is an oldy but a goody.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hmm.. I'll try to find it out in the library.. I read many Danielle Steel books.. but I didn't read this one...

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't read Danielle Steele for at least 24 years or so! The waiting lists at the library used to be huge when I worked there. I'm reading YA - one every 2-3 days - The War That Saved my Life; We were all liars; The Road to Winter plus Kate Morton (a tomb!)in the past week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Reading is a good activity for January evenings. I've read three novels so far - A Siege of Bitterns by Steven Burrows (I think), A Country Road, A Tree by Jo Baker, and Belgravia by Julian Fellowes. And one non-fiction book dealing with teaching. Agatha Christie is a favourite author of mine, too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amy, I don't think I've ever read Danielle Steele. But I do sometimes engage in "lighter" reading than usual. As you say, when you are in the midst of real life challenges, a nice gentle and kind read can be a comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'll be posting my (very belated) 2016 year in books review soon and managed an amazing, for me, total of 21! I think it will be less this year but am still planning to make the time to read. I used to read Danielle Steele in my teens but moved onto other authors - both literary and trashy. It's good to have a bit of variety.x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx