Sunday, 29 January 2017

Listening to my books - Five Little Pigs

This was a good change of scene from my other reading over the last few months.  Although it did take me a few months to listen to all the tapes!  I have seen many many Agatha Christie adaptations on television, but until recently I have actually read very few of her books.

Five Little Pigs is read, unabridged, by Hugh Fraser who you may recognise as Captain Hastings from many of the televised Poirot programmes.  He made a good storyteller, I suspect because he already has an affinity for the works of Agatha Christie.  He doesn't actually feature in this story as a character though.

This story tells the tale of five little pigs who are actually suspects in the murder of Amyas Crale (pronounced A my us Kray ul).  His wife, Caroline was convicted of his murder some years before, but there were five other potential suspects, Philip Blake, Meredith Blake, Elsa Greer, Cecilia Williams and Carolines younger sister, Angela Warren.



Amyas is an artist, intent on finishing his painting of Elsa Greer, he and Caroline argue a great deal and it seems as though Amyas is going to leave Caroline for Elsa.  Then he is killed suddenly, Caroline is charged with his murder and is then herself hanged.

Years later her daughter, Carla, asks Hercule Poirot to investigate the matter, Caroline left her a letter telling her she was innocent, and now that Carla is to marry she wants to know the truth.

There are many twists and turns in this tale, the story is told via interviews with each of the five suspects, then they are called together at the end for the conclusion.  I have to say that all through the story the finger of suspicion seemed to be pointing firmly at one person, and I think that when I saw the television version of this it was the same.

I will not spoil things by telling you the ending, but it is definitely not what I thought it was going to be - because I was sure that I remembered the killer from the television version and I was very wrong about it!!

This was a good listen, and I can be pretty sure because this was an unabridged reading of the book that it would be a good read too.  I would recommend it!

What happens to the tape, well, pretty much all of the tapes that I listen to belong to someone else and are just on loan to me so it will be returned.  If it was mine, I would send it to the charity shop.  Which is something to note, you can get lots of great books on tape at charity shops, you just need a tape player, but you can buy personal tape players - remember those! - very cheaply online.

I know that some of you said before that you like to listen to books, do you have any good listening recommendations for the rest of us?

Amy

15 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if you listen to Radio 4 Amy but they have just fnished dramatising "Little Women" in ten 15 minute episodes which can now be downloaded from the BBC iplayer for the next 28 days or so. I haven't listened to all of them but I will do soon when I have a quiet moment as the episodes I have caught have been really lovely. I know "Little Women" is a real favourite with you - and for me too. I find the BBC iplayer a fantastic resource and often download the book at bedtime or the book of the week to listen to on car journeys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drama on the radio (or as an audio book) is much more exciting than television. Am a great fan of audio books. Our local library let's members download for free from the online catalogue...brilliant!

      Delete
  2. I love Agatha Christie and read a few of her books in my youth but I've mainly seen her stories on TV and films. I really enjoyed the recent series of And then there were none and Witness for the Prosecution and apparently the BBC are making some more adaptations from her books. I downloaded some of her books onto my kindle a while back so maybe I'll chose one to read. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was the first Agatha Christie that I bought when young. No matter how many times I read her books or see them on the TV I always seem to forget whodunit. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen the film but as yet not read the book. I am hoping that I can get back into a routine of reading once we have moved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen the David Suchet Hercules Poirot version of this story, but have never read the book. Now I'll have to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never listened to a book --- I'm old school --- LOL

    The book sounds interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember some time ago listening to some of Ellis Peters's Brother Cadfael novels on tape and enjoying those. I remember this Agatha Christie story from the fairly recent TV adaption but haven't read the book:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never listened to a book either, but keep saying I'm going to read some more AC, as the first one I read was very good. I'll make a note of the one above for my library list. Happy reading/listening. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is stirring a memory of something from Father Brown, but I hope that it is nothing like THAT story. No, I have nothing to report. My reading and listening is way down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never listened to a book before but this sounds very interesting. We are currently watching Poirot on Netflix and do enjoy it - and Captain Hastings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a huge Agatha Christy fan, and this is one of my favorite stories. I just love Poirot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Agatha Christie and have read so many of her books. She certainly knows how to tell a good story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I lived that story and just recently watched that episode of Poirot. I think it was called by a different name. Maybe. Anyway I would love to hear Captain Hastings read it. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Listening to a book whilst doing some relaxing craft would be a great use of time.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx