Tuesday, 31 January 2017

Baked mushroom risotto

It has been ages since I shared a recipe on my blog - I can't remember the last time in fact - but suddenly last night when I was just getting ready to serve dinner I realised that I should share with you what I was making.

So today I give you Baked Mushroom Risotto.


It is really easy to make and much easier than stirring a risotto and keeping a constant eye on what you are making and hand on your wooden spoon.  The finished risotto isn't quite the same as a traditional one, but that is of no concern to me as it is so easy to make.

As I said, sharing this was a spur of the moment decision, so I don't have any step by step photos, but it really is easy so I don't think you will need them.

Ingredients to serve 3 hungry people or 4 with a salad on the side.

A small handful - very small, more like a couple of large pinches - of dried mushrooms such as porcini
Boiling water
600ml to 800ml hot vegetable stock - equates to between 2 and 3 cups, I use a stock cube dissolved in boiling water (heat in a saucepan if using fresh stock)
A good few grinds of pepper
A large pinch of dried mixed herbs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped into small dice
1 rounded cup risotto rice such as arborio - equates to a rounded half pint in a measuring jug
Splash of sherry, white wine or water
4 large field mushrooms - really big ones like portabella - or other mushrooms to taste, chopped into large dice
Small handful - again more like a couple of large pinches - grated parmesan cheese

Method

Heat oven to 200 degrees C

Put dried mushrooms into a jug or bowl, cover with boiling water.  Leave to steep.

Heat olive oil in a large pan that can also go into the oven if possible.  Add onion, and cook until soft, but with no colour.

Meanwhile add good grind of pepper and dried herbs to hot stock - must be hot, does not need to be boiling.  If you are using fresh stock heat it in a pan to bring it up to temperature.

Add splash of sherry/wine/water stir round, then add rice.  Stir to mix thoroughly.  Add field mushrooms.  Add about half of the stock.  Stir to mix, leave to simmer while you prepare the dried mushrooms.

Remove dried mushrooms from liquid with a spoon.  Add liquid they have been soaking in to the pan.  Reserve the last little bit of liquid as it might be a little gritty - I pour mine in through a tea strainer.  Chop mushrooms into smaller pieces.  Add to pan.

Stir to mix everything.  Add remaining stock so that all of the rice and mushrooms are just covered and everything can float about.  You might have some stock left.  Keep this in case you need it later.

Bring everything up to a boil.  Keep stirring occasionally.

When the risotto is just boiling turn off the heat.  Sprinkle parmesan over the top.  Cover pan with lid or foil.  If your pan cannot go into the oven pour all of the contents of your pan into an ovenproof dish before adding the parmesan on top, then cover with lid or foil and cook.  I use a large round cast iron pan - a shallow one - with a lid.

Place in oven, cook for 20 mins.  After this time check to see if the rice is cooked.  If it is serve immediately.  If not cook for another 5 mins.  If the risotto appears to need more liquid add at this stage, stir and cover the dish again before cooking for a further 5 mins.

The risotto is delicious!  You can also do different versions adding whatever you like, peas and ham is a good one.  The method of cooking in the oven stays the same.

I hope you will enjoy making your own risotto, baked in the oven for ease!

Do let me know how you get on when you make this and share your suggestions for add ins to risotto in the comments.

Amy

linking with Cooking and Crafting with J&J - thank you for hosting ladies!

30 comments:

  1. It sounds and looks delicious Amy. I will definitely be giving this a try. Most of my favourite recipes have come from blogs. Ease of cooking is a must for me and one pot dishes are always a favourite. Thank you for sharing this. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love risotto, especially mushroom, but all the standing and stirring means that we don't have it often so I'll definitely be giving this a try. Thanks Amy. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really not a fan of risotto, I think it's the texture of the rice which I don't like, which is a shame as I love mushrooms and I would have definitely given this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a risotto and I love mushrooms. Sadly, none of my children will touch mushrooms (slimy) even though now they're teenagers with teenage appetites, so it's something I'll order if we go out to eat and it's on the menu. This one sounds delicious. (Thank you for your recent comments on my blog - I have replied. You're a star.) Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds yummy Amy I will give it a try :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious. I love risotto but don't enjoy all the standing and stirring for ages so this is a good idea. My husband loves mushrooms and I used to but I find recently that I don't like the texture of them in my mouth, I know - very strange! Perhaps we will try your recipe with other ingredients, thanks for sharing it:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not really a fan of risotto but I will pass this recipe on to my daughters anything to make their life a little easier has got to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum! I just made a mushroom risotto yesterday all on the cook top. I use three tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two mushroom recipes back to back on my feedly feed, yours and Rosemary's. I am spoiled!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As I mentioned to your comment Amy - great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do make risotto, but infrequently as it is time consuming. Like the look of your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM!! Thank you for sharing this, Amy! Sounds delicious. Love that you've started on the knitting adventure, too. I've become addicted to crochet over the last couple of years... I almost have to force myself to knit. LOL! Not entirely true... but, I'd have never thought I'd share my knitting time so freely with crochet. Love them both! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delicious! Happy Tuesday. ♥
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds yum :) I've never thought of baking risotto before! And now I'm hungry!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is this a variation of Delia's baked mushroom risotto from her winter cookbook c.1990? I used to make this quite often but actually I find a stove top risotto so much easier than putting dishes in and out of the oven, not to mention all the timings which are quite critical with risotto. In fact I will go further and say I really enjoy standing at the hob stirring risotto, a glass of wine in one hand and my ears tuned to a Radio 4 6.30 comedy show which lasts as long as the risotto takes to cook. Very excited about dinner tonight as we're having the first purple sprouting broccoli of the season - spring is on its way, yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, I don't know where this came from it is something that I have been making for years now. I have seen several baked risotto recipes, I think it more likely for me to have been a variation on a Bill Granger recipe as he has a delicious baked risotto with courgette and tomato. I couldn't say for sure! I like a stovetop version too, but sometimes this is just easier for me. Enjoy the PSB!

      Delete
  16. Mmm, who wouldn't love a mushroom risotto, with parmesan of course. :)
    Thank you for the interesting recipe! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds yummy! My husband is a huge fan of mushrooms in everything, so I'll pass this recipe along to him. Thanks Amy :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  18. thats a yummy , and easy dish...

    ReplyDelete
  19. ooh lovely, thank you for sharing this :) right up my street

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummy! I often add chopped celery to the chopped onion.

    ReplyDelete
  21. sounds lovely - it'd give me an excuse to buy the flat cast iron pan I've been eyeing up lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love mushrooms, this looks so tasty.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love mushrooms, enjoy working with them in my cooking. i always wanna try new recipes, but being in such a small area we don't always have very unique times of cooking items and when i try to find them they are so $$$ and it is just not worth it to cook so $$$ like. maybe once in a blue moon for us. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wish I liked mushrooms - but alas there's a texture and metallic taste thing for me so I don't. But my hubby loves them! ;) This looks really yummy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Amy, wow this risotto sounds so good and I like that you don't have to sit at the stove the whole time making it. We all love risotto in our house! Thanks for this recipe. I would love for you to share this recipe at our C&C with J&J and then I will feature this risotto recipe!!! Thanks.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx