Monday, 27 June 2016

The year of the needle

If you are a regular reader of my blog you might remember that right back at the start of the year I declared that for me 2016 would be the year of the needle.

In a way I have succeeded in that.  I have finished two tapestries, the next one is still waiting for some more attention!

I haven't really done much other sewing though.  Although you might have spotted that I have been doing some playing with a different kind of needle in the last couple of weeks.

Knitting needles!  So far so OKish.  I can do the back and forth of purl and knit stitches but casting on is still a bit iffy and I haven't the faintest idea how to do anything else yet.  I will get there though I am sure.  I feel far more confident than I ever have before, which I think is because of my crochet skills and being used to yarn and knowing that there is terminology and stitches to get to grips with.

The needle that until this weekend hasn't seen much use is the sewing machine needle.

My sewing machine is vintage.  It is older than me.  It isn't one of the really old Singer type machines.  I think it dates from the early 1960's.  It is called a Lemair.  I call it all kinds of names, mostly unfavourable!

Being in real need of some bags to take my crochet - and now knitting - projects out and about I decided to set to and make some.

The bags that I have used up to now have been repurposed from other things, I haven't had any that were specially made for yarn projects.  Receiving one recently in a giveaway though made me realise that I needed some proper bags.

I love the baskets that I crochet for holding projects at home, I like the way that I can see the yarn and the project, but they aren't always the most practical for taking out and about.

So, this weekend I have been doing what my husband called Making Prototypes.  Which in reality means trying different things and fiddling about with the design to get things how I want them to be.

I am nearly there and have three bags that are reasonably OK that I am going to put into use.

I also have another three that I am going to offer to you.  These are very much prototypes and are not perfect.  By that I mean that some of the seams don't totally line up, some of the top stitching isn't totally straight.  They are not what I would consider to be "seconds" but they are not perfect either.

So, here are the bags.  If you would like one for the reduced price of £9.50 each plus postage - no packing costs - e-mail me at lovemademyhome at gmail dot com and I will send you a paypal invoice after confirming the postage cost to you.  They are light and should definitely count as a large letter rather than needing to be sent as a small package which will be cheaper.

Amended to add 8pm 27/6/2016

Sorry, these bags are now all sold.  I will have some more and will list either on Etsy or Instagram.  Let me know if you are interested in one and we can go from there.

Thank you so much to those of you who were interested in these!

 
Each bag is approx. 9 inches square and holds two 100g balls of yarn plus your notions such as scissors, crochet hook etc.  The bags are lined and have interfacing which means they will stand up on their own.  They close with a drawstring.



I think that I have a pattern and method that I am now happy with so I will be making some more in the coming weeks which will go into my Etsy shop.  They will be for sale for a higher price of £12.00 and will of course be as perfect as I can make them!  If you would like to preorder one let me know and we can discuss what you would like and what fabrics I have.

Hope that you like them as much as I do and enjoy using them!

Bag One is Butterflies.


Bag Two is Owls


Bag Three is Woodland


Amy

Linking with Julie for Cooking and Crafting with J&J.

31 comments:

  1. The fabrics are beautiful Amy, I am sure you will do well with them. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy!! Happy Monday!! Love your bags and I sent an email. If they're already spoken for I will be pre-ordering one for the future! Look at you go talented Lady. ;)
    Hope you have a great week ahead. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bags are gorgeous - I especially like the owl with wonky eyes in the woodland one! You have been a busy bee. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Amy! They are so neat and tidy and you chose cute fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy,you amaze me with all your accomplishmwnts. Love your choice of fabric for each of the bags

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are lovely Amy and I'm sure that they will be snapped up, I'm in the mood for sewing too and I'm afraid no matter how hard I try they will still be seconds I can't sew a straight line yours look perfect to me. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bags you made look lovely Amy. Your comment about the words you call you sewing machine made me smile. So recognisable!

    Have a good week.

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been so busy! Lovely bags, and colourful fabrics...such a great way to store your projects.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course I love the owl fabric best. Super bags ...... and isn't it fun making up your own patterns. Do keep going with your knitting, in no time at all you will be knitting socks on 4 needles!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are accomplishing so much, Amy! I just had a major sort out of my WIP and noted that project bags would be helpful to protect and organize them so that I can easily grab one to stitch on the go. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done!!!!! For someone who says they can't sew, they are great. Next, you'll be putting out patterns for bags etc. Love the owls as I'm a bird of prey freak, but oh, the butterflies are pretty too. Much, too much lovely fabric out there. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice work, so colorful and cheery looking. I'm not surprised they sold so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What cute bags and fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these fabrics you chose, Amy! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so talented! The bags are adorable. I know you'll soon be showing us beautiful knitted projects!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Each bag is lovely Amy... Perfect project sized!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the idea of making prototypes and I think I need a project bag or two or three! Your fabrics are fabulous Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Goodness Amy, you sold out of your bags so quickly! I am happy for you!
    No wonder, you do such good work! I have loved doing cotton dishcloths lately.
    The pattern is by Liz from N. Carolina and she is at crochetincolor if you would like to see her great patterns! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your bags look great, I love the colours. I'm not surprised they sold out so soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Amy! Oh, your little bags are just the cutest things! I love the pretty fabrics you've chosen! I've been enjoying your year of the needle as you've made some really pretty things. Thanks for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just gorgeous :) You must tell me where you buy your fabrics from, I always struggle to find fabrics that I like.
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just gorgeous :) You must tell me where you buy your fabrics from, I always struggle to find fabrics that I like.
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. The bags are wonderful Amy, love the fabric combinations.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very pretty bags, Amy!
    Love the fabrics!
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow...these look SO cute!! :)

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for Crafts, Recipes, and Tips and Tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well done on your sales. The woodland fabric is so sweet.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your pretty project bags you have made Amy.
    Thanks for sharing at Cooking and Crafting with J&J!
    Enjoy the week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello,Amy.
    I remember I saw your beautiful blue shawl last week. You make such pretty bags too?!!! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx