Wednesday, 8 June 2016

The Secret Adversary - Agatha Christie

My reading has slipped lately, but last weekend I had some time to sit and just read.  It was lovely and I really enjoyed it.

I had been reading The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie on and off for a few weeks and I was enjoying it - more than the other books by her that I had read recently - but I just didn't have time to read.

To sit and read most of a book all the way through in one sitting was something that I haven't done for quite a few years now and it was a real treat.


This book is the first of the "Tommy and Tuppence" books by Christie.  I haven't read any of them before although I have seen various television adaptations which from what I remember of them were rather different than this book.  Both television adaptations and this book were very good though.

The story centres around Tommy and Tuppence, old friends who meet and set up the "Young Adventurers".  Very soon the adventures begin and take them all around the country as they try to solve the mystery they have found themselves entwined in.

I did work out "whodunit" partly because I became suspicious of one of the characters and then I thought I remembered they were the guilty party from the adaptation that I had seen before.  I was right in the end!!  This pleased me because as you will know if you have read my other Christie reviews I haven't been able to do that and it was frustrating me.  Perhaps the secret is to read the book in bigger chunks at once.

I would recommend this story, it had a good pace, was interesting and with twists and turns, enough, but not too many and no mystery characters appearing at the very end who held the key to the story - I don't like that!

This book is headed for the charity shop because as you know I am clearing out, but I would recommend it!

To find my other book reviews click here or look at the Reading My Books link from the sidebar.

Amy

22 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I have a couple of old Agatha Christie novels in the landing bookcase. I must have a look to see what they are xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much the best way to read, in one or two sittings. I often only read a few minutes at bed time and that really fragments a good book. My family always hate it when I've got my teeth into a good book because meal times can be delayed :) B xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Agatha Christie didn't write too many Tommy and Tuppence stories as they are easier to guess and didn't get the little grey cells twisted in a knot! Glad you enjoyed it and had a bit of peace and quiet. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty much a before sleep reader, so only do it in small chunks. When I was a lot younger, I read a lot more than I do now. Too much other stuff to do these days, but do enjoy a good book still. Enjoy your reading time and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading Agatha Christe

    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of the Tommy and Tuppence novels but like you have seen TV adaptations. I do love it when a book holds my attention enough to read in longer chunks as you do seem to get more involved with the characters that way:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Completely by coincidence, I started reading this last night. I've never read an Agatha Christie Tommy & Tuppence story either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have the pleasure of reading all the Tommy and Tuppence books at sometime. Back in the 70's when I read most of AC's books I missed out on the T & T ones for some reason, but I picked up the set of 5 newly reprinted from The Book People last Christmas, 5 for £6 I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this book when I read it too and didn't guess the ending. I hadn't come across Tommy and Tuppence in any of Agatha Christie's books before so I enjoyed being introduced to these new characters. I know there was a television adaptation on last year but I didn't watch it as I knew part of it was from another of Agatha Christie's books which I haven't yet read and I didn't want to spoil it when I do come to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am afraid reading has slipped somewhat for me and yet it is one of favourite pastimes, the gardens seem to take over this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful to read it all at once like that, to be able to immerse yourself totally in the book xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always enjoy a good Agatha Christie. Recently saw the new tv series of Tommy and Tuppence.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amy, I've read many of Agatha Christie's books but never one from this series. It sounds interesting. If I could put down my knitting needles, I maybe could read more! Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed that one. I plan on relaxing this summer and having a bit of fun with my reading. My books are usually too serious. Agatha Christie is where I'm headed! Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read that one - I must put it on my to-be-read list!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the review....I am always looking for new books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoyed the Tommy and Tuppence stories, and wish there were more of them. I can rarely remember "who dun-it?" even after re-reading, but that's okay - I enjoy the stories over again. Glad you had some time to read!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad you have enjoyed reading this book, Amy....and fantastic to read it right through at once so you stay in the 'atmosphere'! I have always loved Agatha Christie and every now and then I re read some....I will put this on my list now to enjoy again. I always enjoy your book reviews.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of my favorite Christies. So light and bright.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm another who hasn't read the T&T stories by Christie, must make time for this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've a stack of books waiting for my attention. No time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx