Thursday, 23 June 2016

Ta Dah! Amy Shawl

At last - it has been a while! - I am delighted to be able to share with you the Amy Shawl from my Little Women series.

Ta Dah!


This is the second in the series following on from the Beth Shawl.  I have finished making the Jo Shawl and will now be working on writing up the pattern for that.  Meg is nearing finished too and that will be the last pattern to be released.

I wrote about my inspiration for this series of shawls here.


Amy is made in Cascade Heritage Sock yarn which is a 75% Merino, 25% Nylon blend.  It works up beautifully and is very soft and drapes well.

I have loved wearing the shawl and everyone that has seen it has said it is very pretty, which has been so kind of them.  Being fairly tall and having a full bust (!) I always want shawls that will be long enough in the back and also long enough to wrap right around me.  I love to have that cosy wrapped around feeling.  So in the design of the Amy Shawl I worked it to be quite long, but also fairly wide.  I didn't want it to come to a point though so I changed the shape a little and I think it has worked well.  Other inspirations have come to mind from this, so you might see more of this idea.


The colour was chosen, as I explained before in the design inspiration post, because of the little book that each girl received in the story Little Women, but also because blue is one of my favourite colours and goes so well with many of the things I wear.  Jeans in winter, dresses in summer.  It all fits for me!


Designing this shawl took a little while and some swatching and trial and error, but once I got going it was quite straightforward and if you decide to make one you will see that you can follow the pattern back and forth and the repeats quite easily.

Writing it up though was a different matter for me!  This is definitely the most intricate pattern that I have written so far.  I learned a lot though and after much writing and amending I am certain that the way it is written will be easy for you to follow, will give you just the right amount of information that you will need to follow the pattern without giving you unnecessary details.  There are actually 3 PDF's for this pattern.  I believe that you will only need the main pattern, however, there is also a stitch chart in case you find those easier to follow.  As the main part of the pattern is repeated the pattern is written out in the "repeat" method, but in case you like to have each row written out I have also done that in a third PDF document.  I expect that most people will only download the main pattern though.


To buy the pattern via my Ravelry Shop click this button and you will go straight through to the pattern page.  I am behind with uploading patterns to lovecrochet.com, but it will soon be available there too.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/amy-shawl

I am thinking of hosting a Crochet Along (CAL) for the shawl series once all four patterns are written up.  Is that something you would be interested in?  Do let me know.  There would be prizes!

I hope that you will enjoy making this shawl and having your own bit of Amy to cosy up in!  Do let me know how you get on.  I would love to hear what you think.  There is a thread in the Love Made My Home group on Ravelry where you can share your finished shawls.  Find it here (there is one for the Beth Shawl too!).

Happy Crocheting!

Amy

45 comments:

  1. Pretty colour, pretty shawl
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Amy that is a beautiful pattern and such lovely colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just gorgeous and I've only ever knitted one shawl, that I've not used for years, but I've seen so many pretty ones lately, think I'll have to do "something" for both me & maybe daughter or granddaughter. You are so clever Amy & thanks for a great blog & now writing up patterns too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a corker. I want to see the Jo shawl! I am wondering if it has unfinished bits, bits that are not symmetrical and a general gunho crochet approach to the pattern Ha Ha just like me! It will be beautiful, I know it will. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, you are closer than you imagine!! It is all finished, but you are very close!! I am just writing up the pattern and hope to release it next week. I hope you like it!

      Delete
  5. It's lovely, such a pretty shawl. I like the colour you've used too and the colour changes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is wonderful, Amy. A great design and perfect colours. Can't wait to see Jo and Meg, and maybe see all four in one fantastic photo?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful shawl Amy. Gorgeous colour. You are so talented. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amy! Oh, your shawl is just gorgeous! With you holding up and showing the back it reminds me of butterfly wings! I just love it and the blue color is so pretty! You're so good at your craft!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. your shawl is beautiful and you look so lovely modeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very true and blue, Amy! It looks so soft and cuddly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful shawl, love the pattern and the stunning yarn choice particularly the colour. It was nice to see you in the flesh so to speak modelling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks great, I like the pattern and the colour. It's a bit different, which is a good thing! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your shawl is beautiful!! Wonderful pattern and the color!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I do love the Little Women (book and movie from 90's) and definitely need to check out your Ravelry shop for the scarf patterns 😄

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amy, it is SO beautiful! Makes me wish I can actually crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful and I love the blues for jean wearing - love that the shape looks like it will hang on the shoulders nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great, very pretty xcx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Amy, it's amazing. How clever you are to design and write the pattern. And I really really like that it is a large all-enveloping shawl. I'm tallish (5"7 and a half and a UK size 10/12) and I'm still looking for the perfect shawl to wrap myself in. (I've made an Elise shawl using 100g of silk and merino laceweight yarn and that just about covers my shoulders and I started knitting a Boneyard shawl with three skeins of Mrs Moon Plump which I soon discovered was going to be more of a neck wrap than a shawl so I started again and crocheted it into a 30 inch long twisted cowl which I'm delighted with. I'll wait for Jo before deciding but Amy looks pretty perfect. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woo hoo! Congratulations on finishing your shawl, my friend. And wow! It's stunning :)

    Enjoy the upcoming weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amy, that turned out great! I love wearing a shawl and use one almost all year. I have quite a collection of them by now. Good job on designing it yourself and writing up the pattern! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is beautiful Amy. I love the shape and the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A lovely shawl - well done you!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful, Amy! I love the colors and especially love that you have made the shawl without a downward triangular point in back. Thanks for sharing your wonderful creative crochet work. xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amy, Your shawl is beautiful! You do beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the idea of these shawls being named after the girls in Little Women, Evie and I both love the book so much. The blue is such a pretty colour and I agree about needing it to be a bit longer, in my case it's to cover my ample thighs ha! X

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dearest Amy, I have only one thing to say - You are so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is a lovely pattern and a very pretty color. You wear it well!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is pretty Amy and I find the idea of Little Women shawls sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amy - you are so talented! I love the design and the color. I wish I could crochet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely work. really an impressive piece of art as I truly think needlework is the height of artistic self expression.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful shawl love the colour and pattern. Amy,you are so talented.


    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely ! Nice colour
    http://shilpachandrasekheran.blogspot.ae/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Amy,

    Such a pretty design, unusual with the shape and stripes, makes it stand out from lots of other designs!

    Well done!
    Ingrid xx
    Myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful colour and pattern and just perfect for Amy - both the book version and you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's a beauty!! You have designed a beautiful piece- you look lovely wearing it!!! Big shawls and wraps are in now. I love them as you can swoosh them around your shoulders and they don't slide off. Have a super weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful shawl and colour. I love the dark edging -it sets it off perfectly. X

    ReplyDelete
  37. It is incredible Amy, I love the design elements and your choice of color. You are amazing, my crochet designing idol!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  38. Another lovely shawl, Amy, and that shade of blue is perfect to match the summer sky that I hope we're going to see again before the winter! xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. It's amazing Amy well done! xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love it. Perfect shades for wearing with denim.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love your Little Women series of shawls, I think it is truly inspired. This is perfect for Amy, very dainty and a beautiful colour. Great work! X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx