Monday, 13 June 2016

Making a Crochet Hook Roll

For the longest time all of my crochet hooks have been bundled into a pencil case.  Admittedly a very cute pencil case from Paperchase, with very pretty butterflies on it, but nonetheless, it was a pencil case and scrabbling through all of the hooks to find the one I wanted was getting a bit annoying.

Some time ago I had hatched a plan to make a roll to store them all in.  As yet that remains unmade, but I will tell you more about that at the end of this post.

I have though - finally! - made myself a roll to keep all my hooks in.  I bought a Great British Sewing Bee kit to make to store knitting needles in.  It was wildly reduced in price, I think I paid about £2.50 and although I don't know the original price, I know it was a lot more than that.

I will start with the Ta Dah! because that is the best bit of this.  One Crochet Hook Roll!!!!!


Here it is all filled and then all rolled up.


The kit included a printed piece of fabric with all of the parts of the roll apart from the interfacing and the tape for binding the edges, but these were also included.


After cutting out all of the pieces of fabric I started to make the piece up.  There were instructions, but I didn't find them to be that easy to follow.  Probably partly because I am rubbish at following rules but also because I feel that in a few areas the instructions were just missing.

One example of missing instructions related to the top flap piece - the yellow zig zag piece in the picture below.  I figured out afterwards that the sides should probably have been sewn to the backing and then bound over, but there wasn't anything to tell you this.  So instead I had hemmed the sides and my flap is just loose.  Not a problem, but annoying to me.


It was also not the best project I have ever made because I was making it in a tiny cramped space.  I simply moved my laptop off my desk, put the sewing machine down and started to sew in the middle of everything else on the desk.

That was my fault.  My advice.  Do not sew in a cramped space and move your stuff out of the way first!!!


It has turned out reasonably well though.  I made it on a day when I was feeling very stressed and literally cried several times when I made this.  It is done and in use and that is what is important!!


The pieces I like best of all are the tie which you can see in the picture above.  I folded the strip in two and ironed it then folded in the edges to the middle and ironed it again and then sewed it up.  It looks so good and that pleases me.

The other best bit is the tape around the edges to bind it all together.  It doesn't look the greatest in this very close up photo, but in person it finishes it off better than I thought it would.



When it is full I fold the top down, fold the two sides in...


Then fold over again and tie the tie.


Everything is stored safely and securely and I can easily see all of my different hooks.  Overall a job done, perhaps not as well as it could have been, but done and that is the important thing hey!

On to the Hook Roll I was going to make originally.


A couple of years ago we went to the American Museum in Bath to see the wonderful Kaffe Fassett exhibition - and the rest of the museum of course!  You can see my posts about the visit here (Kaffe Fassett post), here and here.

I was very restrained with my purchases and only bought this fat quarter of one of his wonderful fabrics.  My intention was to crochet an outside piece and then use this to line it and make the pockets for the hooks.


I have decided that as I have SO MANY (really, SO many!) 4mm hooks I am going to make this roll just for them!

I have pulled 14 colours of yarn from my supplies that match the different colours in the fabric and I will be working up some kind of an outer piece and will then make up the roll.

Of course I will show it to you in due course.  Don't hold your breath though, I have a few other things to finish first...


So, here's to Crochet Hook Rolls!  How do you store yours?  I would love to know!

Amy

34 comments:

  1. Sorry to read that it was such a so-and-so to make but the finished project does look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great Amy, and nobody except you can see it's faults. We all learn along the way. I have some fabric you may like for another roll, so send an email if you'd like some. I used it for Jo's hook roll & still have a lot left. Maybe better still, I'll make you one and another for, me as mine live in an old plastic bag (lol). Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, can you e-mail me please? Thank you! xx

      Delete
  3. Well I think it looks great Amy. I have a crochet holder that I received in a swap. I think it was made using broomstick crochet. Very pretty and useful. I can understand making a holder for just 4mm hooks xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks pretty darn well made to me since I don't sew at all and wouldn't have the slightest idea how to begin. I've thought about crocheting a case, but my hooks are stored in tin cans and glass bottles I've upcycled, so that's working for me. They are within arm's reach and always handy ... that's if I remember to put them back where they belong. :) Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've done a brilliant job. I wouldn't have a clue where to start. I love the fabric and colours you have chosen for your 4mm hook roll. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely, I was admiring it in your podcast. As Susan's mentioned, she made me a crochet hook roll which she gave to me when we met up nearly two years ago and that's where I store all my crochet hooks. You can see it here:- http://jo-throughthekeyhole.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/bloggy-meet-ups.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful one. I wonder if it is where I subconsciously got the idea for mine from!

      Delete
  7. I only have knitting needles which I kept in a wine bottle holder until Pam sent me a beautiful hand made roll.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am blessed with daughters who buy me lovely crafty gifts so I have a beautiful case for mine. I also have a beautiful Cath Kidston one for my knitting needles again a gift. Love the fabric and beautiful yarn colours you have chosen for your next roll, looking forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your roll is beautiful - I have mine in a pencil case like you used to and my knitting needles live in a vase! Love the Kaffe Fassett fabric. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yours is wonderful. I'm embarrassed to say that I have a hair scrunchy holding my crochet hooks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made one recently they are great fun to make and work a treat. Yours looks lovely but I'm sorry to hear you were upset. Hope you're feeling better now xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. The finished product is very nice Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I needed that colorful post!
    I reviewed the basket on ETSY today. 5 stars lady 5 stars

    ReplyDelete
  14. The finished product looks fabulous, my friend. I know what you mean about not being happy with the end result as I do the same thing with my projects, but I truly love your crochet hook roll :)

    Have a wonderful week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How useful, it keeps everything so tidy and easily accessible. So bright and cheerful too. The other material is also fab! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. My hooks are in a little bag that had toiletries in it - but I have proper rolls for my (many) kitting needles.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful kit! And I love that green fabric :) Looking forward to seeing the next one! I use a jamjar, but always seem to find the hooks at the bottom of my many cloth bags floating around the place xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is lovely Amy and will be so useful. Love the colours you are planning to use for the 4mm hook roll. My hooks live in a handmade shaker box that was a gift from a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is awesome! You did a great job. Have a wonderful Monday!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't knit or crochet but I appreciate organizing things like this. I think it's real cute and very sensible!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i really enjoy the bright colors. so cheerful. i enjoy the green fabric. makes me think of blooms. different colored blooms. so fun! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  22. It turned out very cute, despite the mix-up, Amy! Love your idea for the Kaffe Fassett fabric, too. I found a vintage crochet hook roll a while back and use that for my hooks. Trouble is, it doesn't hold the new thicker handled hooks I love, so I need to make a new one for those! Hope you are feeling happier. Hugs xo K

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Amy, the hook roll is so pretty. Sometimes the instructions with these things leaves a lot to be desired but it turned out gorgeous and sewing is such good therapy when you're stressed! I'm a big Kaffe Fassett fan so I love the fabric you chose for your other roll. Take care xx ps my hooks are in a plastic roll that came with them when I bought them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't crochet I'm afraid but I love the hook case and the way you can easily find whichever hook you are looking for:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Worth the perseverance, well done, so much nicer and easier to have your hooks in one place, saves time too. I have one set that came in their own zipped case and another are still in the plastic packaging, the rest.......well like yours they´re in a pencil case! Love the Kaffe fabric. xcx

    ReplyDelete
  26. you are so clever and creative!! I love your holder and the fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well done Amy it turned out great, I need something where you can see the hook sizes, I have a set of clover amore hooks that came in their own case and because they are different colours I know which size is which, however I have my clover soft touch standing in a jar and you can bet the one I need is always the last one left in the jar! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I find it frustrating when I am making something and the instructions are poor, but your crochet roll turned out very well despite the lack of instructions. It's very pretty! Love the Kaffe Fassett material!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. a lovely kit, mine are stored all over in a pencil case and some in a little ceramic pen pot by the bed not forgetting the few squirreled away in a pretty tin
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've just bought some lime green leather to make a knitting needle pouch because if I made a roll for them it'd end up the size of one of those hay rolls you see in the fields in shiny black plastic in Autumn!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx