Sunday, 12 June 2016

Extra Hanging - Crochet Covered Hanger

Craft Week continues!  Today with something that I have just finished today.  I worked on this while watching the television coverage of the lunch and parade to celebrate The Queens 90th Birthday.

A few weeks ago I bought some wooden hangers to cover with crochet, then after ordering some yarn I could get started.  The reason for making covered hangers?

Well, there are a couple.  Firstly I wanted something pretty to hang shawls and so on from when I photograph them to show you.  A plastic hanger isn't something lovely to look at is it.

I did have some old hangers covered in a satin material but they are getting a little worn now - over 20 years old! - and they also have the added disadvantage of being slippery and that isn't good for holding things on when you want to take pictures of them!


So, Ta Dah! one covered hanger!


You can see that it does the job of being pretty and holding on to other things very well.  It is much easier to photograph and display something when the item isn't slipping around.


I know you will ask me for a pattern, so here it is!

First, take one wooden hanger and cover in some quilting batting or wadding.  Fix this on with some largish stitches, it needs to be neat, but don't worry about the sewing because you will not see it.  You can see above how I did this.

Then make a crochet chain as long as your hanger is.  In my case that was 70 stitches.  I was working using a 4mm hook and Drops Paris Yarn.

Then make one more chain to turn the work and work back along the chain with in DC into each chain.

Repeat the turning chain and work back along again in DC until you have completed 11 rows of DC.  Check that your piece is big enough to fit around your hanger.

Tie off the yarn.

Find the middle length and width wise of your hanger and poke the hook through the centre.

Then, taking a contrasting colour yarn DC into the piece you have worked working all along the edges to join them together.  You will need to pull slightly so that it is a snug fit.   When you reach the end go back along working first a CH3 then DC into the third stitch along, CH3, DC into the third stitch along and so on until you reach the end of the piece.

Turn the work again and work 4DC into each chain space.

When you reach the end tie off the yarn and sew the ends in under the cover.

Hang up and hang your lovely things from your new hanger!


Voila!  The finished item.

I really like it and have two more hangers to cover so that I can share my pretty things with you.

If you need help converting the hook sizes or crochet terms there are charts on my blog, click on the conversion charts in the sidebar under the heading Crochet Patterns and Tutorials.  The link for the pattern for this shawl - the Beth Shawl - is also there.  Or click here for the shawl pattern.


I hope that you have fun making some of these for yourself and that you are enjoying Craft Week here on my blog!

Linking with Julie's Lifestyle for Cooking and Crafting with J & J here.  Thank you for hosting!

Amy

27 comments:

  1. That's so pretty and such a great idea too. I may have a go at some of these myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's lovely. Where did you get the shawl pattern from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie. The pattern for the shawl is one of my own design. It is called the Beth Shawl. The pattern is available for sale in my Ravelry shop. Link in the sidebar of this blog either by clicking Beth Shawl under Crochet Patterns and Tutorials - about halfway down - or by clicking the Ravelry Shop button towards the top of the sidebar. If you purchase and make it let me know how you get on!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing the pattern, Amy. I have yet to ever crochet any kind of hanger cover although I have wanted to do so. Today I wore a thin jacket that had two bumps in the shoulders in odd places thanks to the rigid hanger I had it on, I think. Perhaps hanging the jacket on a covered hanger would eliminate the problem! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy, oh I really love the hanger cover you made, it is so pretty!
    I hope you have a nice week! :)
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made a few of these although they are not as lovely as yours...and typical me, I didn't bother with any wadding. Thanks for the pattern, I may try doing one with your pretty edge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that's so lovely and such a great idea. The shawl looks beautiful. I'm excited for what you'll be sharing over the rest of the week. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hanguer is very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the pattern and photos Amy. All my coathangers are covered one way or another. My Mum did many and I still have them, as well as some bought at school/church fetes etc. They've always been super popular here in Oz and old ladies (giggle) make them in retirement villages also, to sell at fundraisers. Your pattern looks great. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How pretty Amy. I have a few crocheted hangers that my Mother-in-law made for me many years ago, they have worn well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty Amy.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty hanger and great tutorial, too. Your shawl is so lovely in design and color. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do like a covered hanger!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty, a wonderful addition to a cloakroom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab idea, there's nothing worse than a pile of shawls on the floor which have slipped off their hangers. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Amy for sharing your pretty crochet project with us at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
    Enjoy the week.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have had these on my to do list for ages but have never got around to it. Your shawl looks beautiful displayed on it. Thank you for the pattern. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been wanting to make some crochet hangers for a while now. I think they look so pretty. Yours turned out great.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  18. Crochet hanger covers last a long time too. I still have one given me as a present in the 1970s and use it in my wardrobe:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea, Amy it will stop the clothes from sliding off the hanger too, thank you for a great tutorial. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is s cute idea!

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for Recipes and Crafts: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so sweet, Amy! I love it, and the shawl, too! Would make great little gifts for someone special <3 Thank you for the tutorial! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Do you know, I think I could even have a go at a hanger cover! It might be my first crochet make of the summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx