Saturday, 30 April 2016

West Green House Garden

As I promised yesterday, today I have the rest of our visit to West Green House Garden to share with you.  There were far too many pictures for Five On Friday and I have to stick to the rules don't I!
 
You can find out more information about the gardens here if you are interested.
 
You enter the garden just past the tea room - which we didn't visit, but I understand they have some great things to eat and drink.  There is a lovely courtyard area where you can sit and enjoy your cuppa and slice of cake. 
 



Just after the first courtyard area is a walled garden with more tables and chairs for sitting and having your tea.  There are also some beautiful pots of tulips and many box hedges and topiaries.




From there you go into the main formal garden.  It looked really great and there were lots of plants to see, but I can imagine that it is even better in the summer.  Hopefully we will return to see it again then.




The house isn't open as the property is leased to a tenant, but you can see the outside from various places.





There are so many different paths and focal points to enjoy.  The tulips were the main plant of interest and so lovely to see.  Ours are behind these.



There are several water areas in the garden and this wonderful circular Moon Gate leads to one of them.  I adore this opening in the wall!


Just as we walked through the Moon Gate the water started to flow and you can just see in the picture below the water coming down at the top and it is still dry at the bottom of the rill.



This is the main focal point for this part of the garden.  You cannot walk up to the fountain at the end, although we did walk past it a little later via a different path, so we will come to that in a little bit.






The path up to the fountain was laid with these amazing mill stones.





This is where the water disappears underground to be pumped back up to the start to flow all over again.  So simply, but elegantly done.



We then wandered around another path back along the other side of the formal gardens and admired some of the lovely flowers as we walked.  Forgetmenots and bluebells.




Again, more tulips and many topiaries.


Then we stepped through into the wilder areas of the gardens.



There are some large lakes and had obviously been lots of daffodils out in bloom, but we had missed those sadly.


We then came across another water feature area.  There were two of these features next to each other, each identical to the other.








I am not sure what these beautiful yellow flowers are.  I think for some reason that they are erythroniums?  Perhaps someone can tell me.




We then reached the water fountain that I mentioned before.  This is what the main fountain looks like and you can read the plaque above it.





Above is looking out across the formal garden from a higher view point.  You can see how large it is, this is only a small part of it.






This is a chicken house.  Yes.  A Chinese Palace for chickens!!!






We then went for a wander through the Oriental section of the garden.



There were some nice features and touches, but I think there is more to come later in the year that will make this area more spectacular to visit.




Another water feature.  There were many aspects of water in the garden.




This garden is a Chelsea Flower Show Garden which has been moved here.  Apparently it is a Work In Progress.










We then sort of retraced some our steps from earlier.










Finally we ended up back in the formal garden where I just had to photograph these spectacular tulips.  They are so pretty, I love the speckles and the frilly edges.  Amazing plants!


That was the end of our visit.  If you are ever in the area of the garden it is well worth a visit and I would certainly return again and hope that I will!

Amy

32 comments:

  1. These gardens look lovely. I love those frilly tulips and the Moon gate is just beautiful. As I said in your 'five' post this is somewhere I would like to visit. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolutely lovely place! Those tulips are glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The garden looks absolutely charming Amy - I can't wait to find some time to visit it myself sometime - you are right those are Erythronium 'pagoda' I have the sames ones growing in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a thoroughly charming garden. That first topiary reminds me of a Mr Whippy Ice cream! I have never seen those yellow flowers before, aren't they pretty and I agree with you about those frilly tulips.
    I love the way the round wall feature on the wall is echoed in the mil stones and the balls of topiary, all of the water features are eye catching in their own way but I do especially like the one set into the wall with the face and shell combo.
    Thank you for sharing such a pretty place.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you went in the greenhouse, something to visit next time if you didn't. Come on sun, get cracking and get the flowers blooming. Glad you had a good time x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Amy for this wonderful tour. The garden must be quite spectacular in the summer when all the rosies arches are blossoming. The topiaries are gorgeous! I enjoyed your post to max!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's wonderful, it would be an amazing place to visit throughout the seasons, I bet there's always something looking beautiful. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A brilliant garden tour, thank you Amy. I enjoy visiting places through your eyes and photos. When we used to visit this garden many years ago now there was a surreal Alice in Wonderland garden and I remember the garden was very theatrical in the way different areas were laid out, almost like stage sets being revealed as you explored further. From memory it's not far from Jane Austen's house at Chawton and Gilbert White's house and garden at Selborne, both well worth visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful gardens. I especially love the walled garden with those fabulous old bricks. If you're anything like me, you'll have come home filled with inspiration for your own garden, that's one of the things I love about garden visiting, it gives you so many ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You certainly took us on a wonderful tour of the garden, it would be amazing to visit throughout the year and see it in all its summer glory. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh such a spectacular garden deserves to be visited in every season. I am going to allow this post to continue to load so that I can return and see all the photos. That round gate in the brick wall is fantastic and the frilly tulips are unique and lovely. The water features are ingenious...I could go on and on... That Alexander Pope was a very smart man...truer words and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those photos are amazing, it is such a beautiful place.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you for sharing this lovely tour of the grounds and flowers. Amazing amount of work must have gone into this fantastic garden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Amy
    What lovely gardens and beautiful photos. I agree about the plant, it is indeed Erythronium Pagoda (I have one in my garden too) common name, dog's tooth violet, although it isn't a violet - the bulb/rhizome/corm/bit that you plant looks a bit like a dog's canine tooth in shape.
    I look forward to your return visits later in the year.
    Have a lovely weekend
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh what a thrill to be the tenant of that house - but if I were to be so lucky, I wonder if I would resent all those people wandering around my peaceful gardens. Hmmm, I probably would! I could sit for hours, feeling the sun on my face, listening to the waterfalls and splashing fountains, seeing and smelling the flowers and enjoying the birdsong - an amazing treat for all the senses. Thank you for the extended tour, Amy.xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love visiting gardens, I'm always fascinated by the water features. This is the first house we've lived in that we didn't put at least a goldfish pond; we do have the lagoon out back though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what a MASSIVE garden! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a joy for the senses! Such a nice place to visit. I enjoyed all the pictures. I hope you can get back in the summer- I'd love to see things growing on the trellis and other objects. Their topiaries are wonderful. It must be odd to live in that house with strangers wandering the gardens :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful garden. Thank you for the tour with your great photos Amy. The frilly tulips of gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fascinating place, thank you for sharing Amy, I love how I got to see all sorts of places without leaving my sofa. I will be pinching the chicken house idea when we move :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Isn't the moon gate amazing and all the beautiful mill stones. The hellebores are having such a long season this year and what gorgeous tulips. Such a beautiful place. B x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful gardens Amy it must have taken you hours to walk around it all.:) x

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely garden to stroll through. It reminds me of Hidcote here and there...

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's a lovely garden. With some very lucky chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So much spring! The gardens are gorgeous! I can't garden today or tomorrow because of the snow. Yes, snow. Boo!
    Great photos, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh my goodness, what a garden! So many interesting parts to it and so immaculately maintained. Thank you for sharing Amy
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loved, loved, loved your pictures of these gardens! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can't imagine the time it takes to upload and post all these photos. Bless your heart, it's an absolute feast to look at all the different plants and flowers. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such incredibly beautiful gardens, Amy! So glad to get to see more! Love the water features and little charming elements as well as the structure of the gardens itself, and the flowers, of course! And oh that HOUSE! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. A marvellous garden!
    I ask me only, how they put the big tulip-pots into the buxus hedge boxes - (?)
    Thanks for sharing, have a sunny week

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have always wanted to visit this garden as I have heard so much about it so it was lovely to see it here! I was actually in Hartley Witney on that Thursday too! I was doing a tour with my brother and sister of all the homes they used to live in when we were children, one of which faced the green in Hartley Witney! We didn't have time to visit this garden which is a shame as I might have bumped into you! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx