Saturday, 2 April 2016

The Hound of Death - Agatha Christie

I didn't realise when I started reading this book that it is a collection of short stories.  There are four titles mentioned on the back of the book cover so I thought that it was four stories, one of which was The Hound of Death as per the title of the book.


Turns out that there are quite a few stories in this book in fact.  It reminded me, if you are from England and old enough, of Tales of the Unexpected that used to be a TV programme with short "mysteries" in each episode.

I cannot say that I cared for this book, and that feels like an odd thing to say!  I have struggled through it starting it back I think in February and only just finishing it today having made an effort to get through it. 

I found the stories to be rather odd, they had a tendency to just stop as opposed to finishing if you know what I mean.  Perhaps that is supposed to leave the reader to imagine the rest, but I just found it to be frustrating!!!

So, it is another book read and my next two are also by Agatha Christie - I think the next one is called The Mystery of the Blue Train - and then I might have a little break from her work.   I really enjoy the Miss Marple books and I somewhat enjoy the Poirot stories, perhaps because they are more familiar from having watched the films and TV shows of the books.

If you like short stories, mysteries and Agatha Christies work this will probably appeal, but if you want a good story to really get into, perhaps not so much.  This one, like many of the books that I get given, is off to the charity shop and I can count it as another one "done" and another thing "gone" from the house so although that sounds rather sad, it is good to me!

Well, I am off to do some more reading!  Hope you are enjoying whatever you are reading at the moment.

Amy

14 comments:

  1. I do love Agatha Christie but have never been a fan of short stories. Much prefer to get my teeth into something that will last a little while. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pity you didn't enjoy the book. I must admit I'm not a big fan of short stories. But well done for persevering with it. I hope the next Agatha Christie is more enjoyable. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a coincidence, Amy! We almost went to Greenway, Agatha Christie's summer home overlooking the River Dart today, but the forecast wasn't good. As it happens, it's been a glorious day. Why do we have weather forecasts? They are seldom right! All that money spend on satellites and the Met Office and rain today is actually sunshine!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Agatha Christie Amy .
    Have a nice weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read one Agatha Christie book and that was recently and I did like it, but don't have much time to read, but should look into a few of her other books as they aren't too long. I have quite a few novels I've not read yet and should try and get back into it. Hope you're having a good weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agatha Christie is one of my favourite authors. I can read and re-read her mysteries. I find many short stories rather unsatisfying - they are over all too quickly. Happy weekend, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't recall ever reading Agatha Christie, but I think I might just have to give it a try.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not familiar with this one, have to check and see if I've read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well generally I am not a fan of the short story as I like something to get into but at the moment I am having trouble with concentration and I always enjoyed Tales of the Unexpected so I might give it a try and see how I get on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate books that I can't get into but feel I need to finish. It can be slow going! Glad you are done and I hope your next book pulls you in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too would have been frustrated by the stories that had no proper ending, you feel cheated don't you. My favourite Agatha Christie is 'And Then There Were None' - a great read which I really recommend if you haven't already read it - and yes, it does have a decent ending! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not overly keen on short stories apart from those by Annie Proulx. Still you've got to give them a try when they're by Agatha Christie. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find short stories really hit and miss. Hope you enjoy your next read more :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never read any Agatha Christie. Short story collections can be quite hard work, all the chopping and changing characters etc. hope you enjoy your next book a bit more X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx