Sunday, 24 April 2016

Scary new stuff/instagram

I am a technophobe.  Yes, I am!  The person who blogs, tweets, is now podcasting and has set up an e-commerce business this year is a technophobe.  That doesn't all go together really does it!!!

I am trying to overcome my fears.  When I got my new laptop a couple of years ago and the operating system had changed from one of the older versions of Windows to Windows 8 oh gosh, I was totally lost for ages.  It seemed to take forever to find or do anything and I was incredibly stressed by it all.  I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 even though the computer keeps asking me to.  Too scared you see!!

As for mobile phones - cellphones - well, that has been even worse.  A couple of years ago - perhaps three or four years - I had to replace my phone as the previous one was dying, it wouldn't hold any charge anymore, the case was scratched to beyond belief, but as it was pushing a decade old I couldn't complain about the service that it had given me.

When I went to buy a new phone I marched into the shop - this was pre blogging days - and said that I wanted a phone that made calls and that was it.  No camera, no internet, none of that "rubbish".  That was what I got.  My phone made calls and cost me less than £1.00 - 99 pence to be exact.  It again has served me well and has continued to do so.  I have been very happy with it.

With one exception.  No camera, no internet, hence no Instagram and finally feeling left out of the world and wanting to join in.

So yesterday I overcame my terror of technology and of phone shops and I went and bought a new phone.  It has a camera, it has the internet and I now have Instagram!!!!!  Yay!!!!!  Finally I have joined the real world with the rest of you.

Not that I am getting rid of my old phone as I will explain in a moment.

You can now find me on Instagram as Lovemademyhome - of course!!!  I have been anxiously checking on Google to make sure that no one had an IG account in that name for the last few days as I was so worried it had already been taken.  As I am Love Made My Home - or as I like to think of it LMMH - everywhere else I wanted to be the same for IG and I am.

I have found a few of you already and am following you and some of you have found me too, but if we haven't connected yet please do come and find me and follow and then I will follow you back and we can interact!

It is all new to me and I am still terrified of the phone and the whole data thing and wifi and all the rest of it, but I am getting to grips with it and quicker than I did when I got my new computer so that is all good and I expect that it will come...

Back though to the purchase of the darned thing.

First we went to John Lewis (very good department store) which is where I have bought tech before and always had very good service.  They didn't have what I wanted though as I could either have a really cheap phone with hardly any memory and not very good camera, or something really expensive.  So sadly that was a loss.

That meant going to the phone shop.  Scary.  I wanted to keep the same number and was happy with my network so we went straight to the shop for the network I already have.  Of course I was instantly pounced upon by the sales child - seriously if she was actually 18 I would be surprised.

It took nigh on 2 hours to complete the purchase, switch my number to the new phone - which I am still waiting for it to actually switch across - pay for it, set up the data thingy, oh and on and on and on and on it went!!!!!  She got a bit upset when I declined all the extra insurances and did I want wifi and goodness knows what else, but we soldiered on and got there in the end.

To say that the purchase was a trial is an understatement.  It is completed now though and I am finally in the real world with everyone else.

The reason I am keeping the old phone.  Well, this was the one thing that has annoyed me rather.  I decided to buy the phone and then do a 12 month - very cheap after I negotiated - contract for data and calls only.  I had to also buy a £10.00 top up.  I thought that would be added to the phone as extra credit.  No.  I had to pay £10.00, but it cannot be added to the phone I have this data contract thingy.  So I am stuck with a £10.00 credit.

Hubby suggested that when my number is switched to my new phone I put the credit - on a sim card - into my old phone and keep that as an emergency back up phone and credit just in case we ever need it.  Very sensible I thought, it will make use of the credit and the "old" phone which really had nothing wrong with it at all.

He is a sensible fellow isn't he my husband!

So after all that, do you want to see the phone?  Here it is!  Sorry about the fingerprints!!


This is also my first IG post...  Get me!


A photo posted by Amy at love made my home (@lovemademyhome) on
Well, there isn't any more to add, other than to ask you to please come and find me so that I can come and find you all!!!
Hope you are having a good weekend!

Amy

51 comments:

  1. On my way over to IG to add you as a friend. See you on the other side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you can call yourself a technophobe, you're way braver than I am where technology is concerned. I've had my phone for ages but I still don't know how to take a photo with it, never mind set up an Instagram account and post to it. I don't have Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, nothing, just my blog, and I don't do anything with that other than post on it just incase I manage to delete everything. No, I think you've definitely moved on from the technophobe stage. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I've been able to take photos with my mobile since my husband (can't stand the word "hubby", sorry to all who use this term, I think it's awful, but that's just me) bought my camera for my 65th birthday several years ago. But while I have a vague idea of how to take the photos, I can't download them onto my computer, as I have no facility for doing this from the camera to the computer. I refer to use my cameras (my compact Pentax or my large Nikon DSLR). I have photos on my camera that I can't access! How silly is that?
      Margaret P

      Delete
  3. I, too, am a technophobe. And recently my computer man put in Windows 10 on my computer as at the moment it is free. I had a right old game with it and because it needs more 'power' or whatever, I had to have more memory installed, which cost me more money, etc, etc.
    As for my phone, it is an old touchscreen phone and it's a right pig to use. I mean, you couldn't phone for emergency help in a hurry. Also, it doesn't hold the charge longer than 24 hours. So I need a new phone, too ... oh dear.
    As for joining the world on Instagram - is this really necessary? I do wonder who might be looking at the things we post at times. Do we all need to be signed up for every social media service that exists, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and goodness knows what else? I rather like the idea of sharing my photos daily but then I think, every tom, dick and harriet from her to the back of beyond can see them ... do I really want that?
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am right with you on the technology!
    Enjoy your new phone, and have a cozy day. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Instagram, so much to see 😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are braver than me, I do have a nice phone but am not really Instagraming, I just can't find any more time in my day. I know it is the way to go now and I do feel left out, but it is my own fault for not joining in.
    Have fun,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brave New World...ugh about the overzealous sales clerk...she'll do better as she matures, hopefully. I have not upgraded on any device or system to Windows 10 either. By the time I do, I hope that they will have the bugs worked out. I have been known to yell at the messages, "Go away!" (They happen at the most inopportune times.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I'll go find you on Instagram right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will go search for you now :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. My phone is a pay as you go phone only which I've had for years and I really would like to get a bit more "with it" but the thought of going into a phone shop and having a child looking at me oddly when I explain how simple I need it to be rather puts me off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You couldn't have put it better, Sue. This is exactly how I feel.
      Margaret P

      Delete
  11. Very, very techi, you have got a nice phone I have to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.S just started following you I am morland76 :) welcome to the world of instragram :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm very brave of you, those assistants always make you feel so small and silly not being up with the latest tech. Enjoy xcx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a technophobe too. I have an Apple Phone with all the bells and whistles, but I hardly use it. My daughter handles most of my tech stuff, in person when she's here or via Skype. Don't know what I'd do without her. I'm on Twitter and Tumblr because of her and recently I joined Instagram too. She also added Line to my phone, but that's another story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Being a technical illiterate, all this techie stuff is boring, but your account of your adventures made it absolutely delightful and had me laughing and also relating to all the frustration of moving forward. Have you ever done Stand-up Comedy? You should try it. I believe you're a natural. If not that, how about a book?

    My phone costs $17 US a month and I can talk for 2-1/2 hours only (which I don't as I use my land line with phones all over the house, so I don't have to carry my cell phone around). If I get close to using my minutes, the phone company sends me a message to change my plan (which they will do during the cycle) and then go back to my old plan. No Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. A post on my blog each Sunday is all I can manage. Do you ladies ever sleep? Can't begin to imagine how you do everything and still manage a husband (I ditched mine in 1970).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome to the IG world...you will love it. I'm off to look for you. B x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I keep thinking I want to get in on the Instagram thing too. I'm ok with technology and I have a camera phone but I'm never happy with the quality of phone pictures (perhaps I just have a rubbish phone!) and that really puts me off. I wish I could join instagram and upload pictures from my camera, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so impressed Amy. When I first read your blog a year ago, you weren't doing any of this…its amazing and inspirational

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on your new phone Amy, I love all that stuff and have to research everything into the ground before I'll buy it. I'm on Instagram have found you and have started following, trouble is there isn't the time to go on all these media sites and Instagram has been a bit neglected and to be honest so has my blog of late if only there were more hours in the day! Enjoy your new phone. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I went to an IG meet up yesterday in London...I was the only one not on it!
    I am a technophobe also, (altho if you can do podcasts, I'm thinking you aren't!) and haven't a clue how to get on IG. I guess if I googled it no doubt I would learn, but is anyone interested at looking at my photos?
    I think I have the same phone as you, I've had mine a year now and still haven't found out what everything does...good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've just spent a couple of weeks transferring my service provider and trying to get my phone unlocked, nightmare! Still all done now. I'm sure you'll enjoy Instagram it's one of the better apps I think. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm full of admiration for your abilities with all these different social mediums. I blog and am on facebook because of family at a distance but that is about it. My phone is the cheapest pay as you go I could get and I use it very rarely and probably only top it up once a year. I do feel sometimes that I'm being left behind but at the moment my lap top is on its last legs and my camera on/off button is wearing out so I need those first I think. I do like the idea of using the phone as a camera though so perhaps one day. I have got to grips with Windows 10 though:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. My life is full enough, I might tip over the edge if I was checking IG too! Good Luck though. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  24. My computer is old enough that I have windows 7 and I'm ignoring all the prompts to upgrade to Windows 10...scares me. I've had a Samsung 4 for a couple years now and I'm getting along fine with it. It always makes me tremble to try something new in the technology world! Hope your week goes well. I'll go hunt you down on Instagram...

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is all rather scary isn't it Amy and challenging to keep up with the latest technology? But it's all good and feels an achievement. Welcome to IG, I found it a few months ago and love it (P.S have started following you!) Best wishes
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have a very simple old phone that doesn't do anything fancy. The getting of a new phone would terrify me, although it would be nice to be able to do Instagram. Maybe... Although I'm having enough troubles with Bloglovin and Blogger at the moment. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. welcome to instagram! Will try and find you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Amy, welcome to IG and i hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It's really fun to post random photos too not relating to the blog such as food or flowers and so on. Enjoy.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just joined Instagram a couple of weeks ago and, I don't even have a mobile phone at all. So far I haven't managed to get the required app on my computer to post pictures so I am just following and liking and commenting. I'm going to find you there now.

    ReplyDelete
  30. OK Amy, you are too clever to be a technophobe. I've not got facebook etc, only my blog and oh, as you know pinterest(giggle). I've an old phone probably like yours was which I only got about 4 years ago and it was my first mobile ever. It took me 8 months to get my blog to show up on the computer, so I think I am a technophobe way more than you and take my hat off to you for having a go with so many things. Enjoy and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is awesome Amy! I have been thinking of joining Instagram too but haven't a clue how to go about it so have put it off. I love my smart phone though and use it a lot especially for face timing our daughter nearly every day! Have fun with your new 'freedom' and instagram. xx Pam

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am on Instagram too, but don't ask my name on it...my son did it for me and I haven't had the time to figure it out and he's not around for me to ask him!
    I am hopeless, if you are wondering.
    Anyway, if I can, I will try to look at your Instagram...and do I follow you on there? I need lots of help you can tell!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Amy! Oh, I'm very proud of you! So many techie things you've conquered! Now don't laugh - I'm not on Instagram myself! I guess I just haven't seen the reasoning for it. But shoot, now you've inspired me. Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. look at you techno savvy :) congrats on the new phone and for being on instagram, it's a fun place to hang out :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Well good for you! I have an instagram account, but never use it. I'm getting old I think!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What fun, found you on Insta. I am a different coloured bird over there :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm with you on the technophobe front - I have my daughter's old phone (extremely basic)and my other daughter's old laptop (which constantly overheats and makes a noise like a helicopter landing on the roof!). You made me laugh about the 'sales child'; they really do seem to get younger every day. Have fun with Instagram. xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. I will look you up on Instagram - I have just had a look at your first IG photo and have followed you. I am jand1954. I definitely wouldn't call you a technophobe, you seem to embrace all the technology and get to grips with it. I am mega-impressed that you have started podcasting as I wouldn't have a clue where to start. xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Snorting at the sales child, you are so right! xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Instagram is so much fun... I'm there as ApricotandFig

    ReplyDelete
  41. Welcome to IG, my favourite social media, so easy and quick and full of inspiration. Just LOVE it x You will be hooked x

    ReplyDelete
  42. I only recent got a new phone does more than phone. my teenagers called my old phone a "stupid phone" to differentiate it from a "smart phone"........ off to look for you on IG x

    ReplyDelete
  43. You will laugh at this but I don't even have a mobile phone, I really am not good with technology.

    ReplyDelete
  44. My daughter loves Instagram. I dont bother with it much. I prefer pinterest

    ReplyDelete
  45. I really should be on Instagram, I take a ton of photos. I will have to look into it, and I will let you know if and when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hey Amy,
    I found you! Thank you for finding me! I'm actually a big Instagram fan. I've made some lovely connections there. Just remember the mantra I also follow; there is no such thing as a perfect life, even if the little pictures in the squares try to convince you otherwise! Welcome to the world of the perfectly styled mantle ;)
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  47. I'm not much into all these tech upgrades either. I won't be going to Windows 10 even though I keep getting the popup. I didn't want to change from my old Nokia phone but finally my husband just came home with an iPhone for me, I think that was 3 years ago, and of course, I'm loving it. And Instagram really is a wonderful thing. I use my phone exclusively for pictures. So it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Welcome to Instagram, Amy! It's nice to see you over there. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hope you are having fun with IG, it's good to see you there. I think everyone feels the same about all the techy stuff, but it is the way of the world and we all must do our best to keep up! X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx