Monday, 4 April 2016

Feeling Blocky

There are many things to learn and that you do learn when you start a new craft and for me one of the things that I have learned about when learning to crochet is blocking.

At first it all seemed very mysterious, but now it seems like second nature.  Funny how things go like that isn't it.  If you want to find out more about this art, I have written a tutorial which you can find here, there is also a link in my sidebar under the Crochet Patterns and Tutorials heading.

What prompted this?  Well I have just this morning blocked my newest project.  I am afraid that it is still rather secret, but I can show you a photo!


This is one of a series of designs that I am working on.  There are some more to come in this series so I haven't decided yet whether to wait and release them all together or one at a time.  Of course the main deciding factor will actually be getting the pattern written up which I find takes as long as it takes to crochet the item.

I work by actually crocheting and having the yarn and hook in my hand and figuring it out as I go.  Then I write down what I actually do.  This is good and works for me, but it makes writing up patterns hard because I have to sort of reverse engineer what I have done, write it up, check it, add photos, formatting etc etc etc.  You get the gist I am sure!!

For many years when I couldn't sleep I would lay in bed and design my ideal (as in wild fantasy) house.  It wasn't anything that flashy or large, but it was very nice!  I have it all planned in my head.  Which I am sure is where it will stay.  That is fine with me, I don't have to clean it if it is just in my head.

Nowadays though I lay in bed and design crochet in my head!!!  I can actually bring these things to life - well, sort of when I have figured out how to make them reality which is much harder than imagining them.  Designing houses and crochet are both very satisfying, but it is good to see the crochet become reality!

Well, I have waffled on long enough about this I am sure.  When I decide what to do about the patterns I will let you know.

Hope that you are having a good start to your week and that you enjoy learning new things in general, and to do with any crafts that you do, and that you have some good things to daydream about and perhaps bring into reality too! 

Amy

Linking with Cooking and Crafting with J & J

37 comments:

  1. What a pretty pattern Amy, and I always knew you were an extremely creative girl. No surprise your mind is working things out as you go, and what fabulous results you achieve. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. As ever, Amy, your work is beautiful. Well done. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mysteries. And it looks beautiful so far.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made me laugh about not having to clean it if it's in your head ! Stunning pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I'm not a craft person and so I really admire the work of others who can excute these things and with such panache. But I don't understand what blocking is for? Is it to stretch the yarn/thread or whatever you call it, or for some other reason? I know a canvas needs stretching so painters can use it to paint on, but if you are going to make a shawl, say, I don't understand blocking ... can you please enlighten someone with little grasp of the rudiments of crochet? Thanks!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty pattern, I look forward to hearing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pattern and I love the idea of designing a house (that you don't have to clean!) in your head. Happy blocking. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful, Amy! I am so impressed that you can make up your own patterns. You should put together a book of your special patterns. Have fun crocheting!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Certainly a beautiful piece of work, loved the pattern. I love to have a little daydream now and again, it brightens up my day. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy I love to crochet, but I'm much more tied to a pattern, and not with such fine yarn as in your picture. Both of my grandmothers were wonderful crocheters (is that a word?)making pillow edgings and doilies. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pattern, can't wait to see it finished. You're right about blocking, it's so important. When I was teaching myself to play piano and I couldn't sleep I would teach myself to read the notes, now it's second nature.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a clever way to block! I use a chunk of styrofoam, but your way looks more tidy. Amazing that you can think crochet. I can do it, but can't imagine thinking it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's lovely - can't wait to see what it ends up being.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful piece of work. I'm looking forward to having the mystery revealed to us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so impressed with your rapid crochet progress! Your blocking piece is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks lovely Amy. I glad you've got lots of designs in your head! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Blocking. My daughter wants those puzzle boards. The most I do is wash and shape it ...but I dont do lace or I might have to block. Your crochet is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like a pretty pattern Amy xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. So far so good, Amy! I love how it is shaping up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We are at our most creative at night I reckon. Lovely pattern, it looks quite intricate. Well done for having the patience!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks beautiful. I did crochet years ago but only learn single and double crochet, never anything like what you are doing. I made throws, you know how much I like making throws from anything. HA! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Was just talking with friends the other day about blocking or not. Seems none of us do it. But I could see what that piece might need it. looks very delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Whatever you're working on, it's absolutely beautiful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful work! It looks nice all blocked out like that...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Amy,

    Your crochet project looks lovely!

    It's a gift to be able to design patterns, so keep using your gift!!!

    Writing it all up etc takes a lot of effort, but it will be all worth while!

    Ingrid xx
    Myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well said about things in your head and am looking forward to seeing this "big" project. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well, that is wonderful that you can think up crochet patterns in your head, Amy! I can barely follow a simple pattern! This latest project is very lovely! I have imagined my dream house in my head, too. I have two of them, one is a beach house and one is in the Southwest desert. Oh, we can dream, can't we? Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for your blocking tutorial Amy. Wishing now I hadn't sent to the charity shop my daughter's hop scotch play mats. I use a piece of MDF with nails banged in for stretching my canvas work. It lives under the sofa as it looks to be an instrument of torture. I crocheted a shawl in a laceweight silk and merino mix and didn't block it as the yarn is so fine and delicate but simply pulled out the three corners on my padded ironing board. Wondering now if I should give it a proper blocking.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This beautiful, Amy! I have never tried lacy crochet like this - I think I'm afraid I'll lose my way with all those loops. I love the little stars.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  30. I find blocking a pain but very necessary in most cases, your crochet is delicate and very pretty. My designing process is very much like yours but I hate the writing the pattern bit it is long and very laborious thats why many of my designs never seem to see the light of day, good luck with it all Amy. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your secret project looks very beautiful, Amy! :)
    Learning new things is really very important. It's interesting that you can so well visualize in your mind your ideas and projects. (I wish I could too.)
    Happy crocheting... and writing up the pattern! xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks such a delicate piece Amy, you are very clever making up the pattern too. X

    ReplyDelete
  33. I had no idea what blocking was until now! Thank you :-) Your most recent piece looks very pretty. Clever you. x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your latest piece is so beautiful Amy, I do hope you release the pattern, it would be a gorgeous shawl or even a beautiful table runner.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx