Tuesday, 12 April 2016

Basket making

I have crocheted quite a few baskets now.  They are more like firmish bags or squishy baskets than baskets like a wicker basket or something.

I love making them, but had to stop because, well, otherwise the house would be overrun with them!!!  Baskets are useful for many things, but there are limits to how many one needs.

I have a little one that I take to work with whatever my current project is, I can fit my yarn, the project, needle book, little pair of scissors and so on.  Just enough if I get some quiet time to get on with some work.

Various people have of course spotted said basket - and whatever I am then working on! - and admired it.  A few weeks ago though one colleague came into the room and exclaimed - for she really did exclaim! - "oh, a peg bag".  What?  Peg bag?  What was she talking about...

Turns out that she has a very old basket that is very similar to the one that I had with me that she uses for clothes pegs, which I think she said was made by her Grandmother.  The basket is very worn out and she asked if I could make another one.

Of course says I!  I couldn't get the yarn in the same colour that I had used for mine, but I hope that she will like what I found as a substitute.  If not I have another basket for me....

This is what the finished basket looks like.


You can see what I mean about the squishiness of them, it will fold flat like this.  It is what I like about them best because they are easy to store away.  I haven't finished it off yet because I want to check with her that it is the right size.  At this stage I could still rip back and make it bigger if she needs.  Otherwise I will just tie off and sew in the ends which will only take a few minutes and my colleague can take it home with her.


This is what the stitch looks like close up.  Details of how to get the pattern are at the end of the post.



The yarn that I used is Lily Sugar'n Cream in their Barnboard Twists which I think are lovely.


Ta Dah!  Finished basket which is holding most of a 200g ball of Marble Chunky which is a big ball of yarn!! 


If you want me to make something for you, do get in touch and I will be glad to discuss it with you, I am open to taking commissions and we can perhaps come up with something for you.

In the meantime I will be back to guarding my own basket from all of those who seem to want to get their hands on it!!!  A good problem to have hey!

To buy this pattern via my Ravelry Store click this button

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/in-line-handle-basket

To buy this pattern via my lovecrochet.com store click this button

http://www.lovecrochet.com/in-line-handle-basket-crochet-pattern-by-amy-at-love-made-my-home

Amy

37 comments:

  1. Oh I love it! And I'm sure your friend will too. I need a new crochet project and this could be what I'm looking for. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never made a basket before but they are definitely on my to-do-list. How useful and pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks good Amy, lovely shade of yarn xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baskets are so handy and they always look pretty. I can never have enough of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely basket Amy! Looking forward to the pattern.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely baskets, well done I have a real assortment of basket type containers around the place for various things :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wool is the perfect choice for the bag. I'm sure your friend will be thrilled. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was debating about whether or not to learn to crochet, I came across a pattern for baskets. That was when I realised that crochet could be useful. I never made a basket. But I learned to crochet and have made other useful things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baskets are so pretty and lets be honest you can never have enough them. I am sure your colleague will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty and useful too, I'm sure your colleague will love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lovely. I like the colour and I think it will make a perfect peg bag.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is lovely - she will be delighted

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have made a few of these. Quite lovely and handy indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that wool. It's GORGEOUS. ALSO I'm those little baskets are gorgeous and perfect for anything! Bravo lovely X

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great peg bag but perfect as a project bag too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely Amy, I love the yarn - perfect. Great minds think alike this week it seems! :o) Have a lovely week. Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are lovely and that yarn is perfect for the job. I can see how they could take over the house! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your basket is brilliant Amy! I'm sure the recipient is going to be very pleased with it. If I crocheted I would definitely make one of these for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your squishy basket :) I'm a big fan of Lily Sugar and Cream, not one you see over here a lot.
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful work Amy! That's a fun color combination and I hope your colleague is delighted with it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Amy, I love this sweet basket you have made. What a great idea! Have a lovely week ahead.
    X X Pam

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm my opinion you can never have too any baskets. Its lovely so very practical .Have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super work Amy. Love Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely basket. They can have so many uses. I bet your colleague will love her peg basket. B xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. A lovely basket Amy! I am sure you will get lots of orders...they are so pretty and useful.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, this is lovely, Amy! So useful for so many things and you can fold it away when not in use. I've wondered what that cotton yard would look like done up and I love it! Now I will have to buy some :) So much yarn - so little time.....Hope you have a lovely day. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is when i wish we lived close, i am curious how sturdy they are? what a great idea. so fun. so many colors you could pick from and make. you enjoy!! have fun. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  28. They look lovely, have a go with garden string, makes them much more stable and you could put a plant in them..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. IT is brilliant Amy, I love the yarn you chose to make it with. Well done.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the look of it, and that yarn is perfect! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Baskets like these are both beautiful and useful. My daughter makes them, too, from her own pattern and I'm always amazed at people like you and her who can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely basket, what a nice thing to do, I'm sure your friend will love it, great project bag too xcx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful job Amy! So pretty and very clever for many uses! ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely to have something so pretty and useful in the home, I'm sure your colleague will love it.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx