Wednesday, 16 March 2016

Yummy yarny lovely!

If you have only just come to my blog you might be forgiven for not realising that it is trying to be more of a yarny blog!  It seems as though there has been very little yarny activity going on for months.

I finished up a few things before Christmas, have had one commission since then which I worked on and finished - but as it was paid for didn't feel it appropriate to show you here.  Other than that I have only done a few tutorials.  I purchased one ball of yarn - Hayfield Bonus DK which was good to work with, different than I expected, but good - to make some garlands with for my shop - which I did crochet- and to give away.

Anyway, very little yarn activity, and apart from that one ball of yarn I cannot remember the last time I bought yarn.  This weekend though I indulged!!!!  Oh yes!!

I still cannot show you anything really because there isn't actually anything to show yet, but...  I can show you the yarn!  Yay!!


There is actually another skein which I will explain in a moment.  Oh, I was so excited to order this and even more excited to receive it.  I have never had skeined yarn before and this is just delicious.  It is Cascade Heritage which is a sock yarn, 75% superwash wool and 25% nylon.


Grey - above (obviously!) and Green.



Three different shades of blue.



That will all, I hope, work really well together.


These yarns are for three different projects that I am working on.  I have the designs all in my head and I have tested them to a certain degree.  Now though I actually need to make them, and write up the patterns as I do and then I can publish them for you to make!  Yay!  Well, I hope it will be yay.  I hope that the items will turn out well and that you will want to make them.

There is a whole story about these, but until I have at least one pattern ready to publish I don't want to talk too much about it.

I still need some faded red yarn for the fourth part of this little adventure.  That is as much as I am prepared to tell you.  But, if you have worked out the back story to what I am up to, e-mail me and I will send a little something to the first person who gets it right.


Before I continue I have to say please excuse my messy office!

The other really exciting thing  - other than my plans and the yummy yarn! - was that I needed a new tool in order to make use of this incredible yarn.  A swift.  Now, some of you who have been reading my blog for a long time might recall the struggle I had to get a yarn winder.  I asked for one for Christmas.  No do.  Apparently you cannot have tools for Christmas.  Anyway, long story short I did get one and have used it with limited success since.  Limited because I have only wound yarn cakes from balls of yarn which goes well to start with and then gets a bit messy towards the end when the yarn scrunches up.

I couldn't wait until Christmas to ask for a Swift, so I went ahead and ordered myself one of those too.  I ordered this wooden one from Wool Warehouse (no advert, I paid for it!).  I chose this one because it was wooden, looked nice (pathetic I realise), but also I thought it would last longer than the plastic one which was the other option and would be better for the yarn.


Setting it up was a bit of an adventure, yarn swifts take up a lot of space!  I put it on the arm of my chair in the end and then the ball winder on the edge of my desk and it worked well for me.  This is the ball part way in progress of being wound.
 

This is the finished ball - or cake - of yarn.  Oh, what yumminess!!!  It looks just like the ones that I have admired in your photos and podcasts and so many other places!  It is the best cake of yarn that I have ever wound and with the least amount of aggravation.  I love it!!!!!!!!!!


So now I need to get on with the crocheting and start the making and then I will have more to share with you and you will once again realise that this is at least a somewhat of a yarny blog!

Oh, and by the way, I have never got this yarn stash thing before.  I still don't, I buy what I want when I need it, but having squished these skeins I am starting to see the attraction!!  This could be dangerous...

Amy

34 comments:

  1. I agree that your finished yarn cake is a thing of beauty. The swift does look a bit unwieldy, but I'm sure is worth it (I always have to find a 'volunteer' to wind my skeins with). Your yarns are in lovely spring-like shades. Can't wait to see what you make.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me intrigued Amy. You have taken me back to my youth...in those days my mother bought all her wool in skeins and I would hold the skeins while she hand wound the wool. Memories. Enjoy your wool. B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My swift is similar to yours, but quite a lot older - I found it at a car boot sale. I have the same ball winder - I think mine came from China via ebay!
    I have to admit to having a yarn stash - mostly of end of range balls bought in sales, with the famous words "that will come in handy"!!
    Looking forward to seeing what you make!!
    ps - still using exclamation marks, can't type without them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember sitting as a child for what seemed like hours with my hands out to the front holding skeins for my mum and my auntie. I was told that I was better than using a chair back so I felt quite proud of myself. When I think of it now, I just laugh! My life's ambition - to be better than a chair back! :oD

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's all new to me but looks great fun. You do need a lot of space by the looks of it, when everything is whooshing round it looks like it could all take off like a helicopter! Great colour wool. Enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice yarn. Aren't husbands called Swifts??? Yours look svery nice, no slacking or saying they are busy reading the paper, I like it! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful shades of yarn and your swift looks good fun. Beware the yarn stash! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got myself a swift last year, when spinning the yarn from fleeces I end up with skeins and hubby is not always here when I want to wind them on look forward to hearing more of your projects :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post made me smile. It isn't until after we get the tool that makes things easier that we then say, why didn't we do it much sooner? My passion is cooking and I just indulged in a new professional mixer this morning! I don't have a yarn stash as I only dabble in knitting but you should see my baking accessories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so easy to wind the yarn with a winder and swift. I get Mick to hold the yarn for me whilst I wind it but it never comes out as beautifully wound as your little cake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those wool colours. And the new swift looks amazing. Never seen one before. You learn something new every day, eh? Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful yarns!! lovely :) I have a swift and a ball winder and I still wrestle with the process. I think I have the winder at the wrong angle or something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful yarn, love the amazing array of colour. I have a stash of yarn so that I don't have to keep going out to buy it and pick it up in sales etc. That is my excuse and I am sticking to it. Those yummy cakes are addictive...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of pretty colours . Yes the days of me sitting with me mum with yarn around my hands like skeins for her as back then she didn't use a ready made one . I bet lots of lovely things will be made with all that yarn . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh the shades of blue! That is my favorite color. I made yarn ball by hand, takes forever, I have no idea where I'd put a Swift and I'm so technologically challenged, even by wooden things, I'm sure I'd make a mess of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have fun with your new swift, they are great fun. I've been caking some of my yarn this morning, and it always looks so nice when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely, lovely, yarn! The colors are so rich but I have no clue what you are going to create. I will wait and see. The swift and winder look amazing; and the cake of yarn looks perfect. Have fun crocheting. My best to you, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't wait to see what your projects are.

    In my house my husband won't ever buy me anything with an electrical cord as a gift - but then there was the year when he really wanted to get me an electric bobbin winder for weaving...he asked several of my friends to make sure it was ok before he bought it - it was a great gift with a cord.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nothing like a lovely yarn cake I have a winder but like you have only made a few yummy cakes, looking forward to seeing what you are planning
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this yarns post such beautiful photos . I'm really tempted to buy some simply because of these photos . I adore my yarn swift . I can't wait to see what you will made .

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely wool and I'll admit to not having seen hanks of wool for many years, although I had 3 stashed away, which (this is funny) I got out last week and decided I need a new jumper for the coming winter. I found my yarn winder, "HUBBY", and have 4 nice round balls to work from. I do remember as a child having to stand with arms outstretched for my mother, so she could wind the wool from hanks, as that is how they came most of the time. Memories eh? Look forward to see what you are working on and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such nice colors of these skeins. I'm always impressed by those of you who can work with your hands and needles to create projects from yarn. I am blessed with the ability to enjoy your art! :) My walking friend when we lived in California for a short stint a few years back was a master knitter. Hope you have a lovely new day...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never seen a swift either - they do look very complicated compared to a pair of arms! I used to be a swift wool winder for my mum and nowadays in the absence of my daughter I use an upturned wooden stool but it's not as fun or as quick as working with a real person. Now I wonder what you are going to make with that beautiful wool?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good winding! I love your yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Amy! Oh, those are some pretty yarns you've got. I know whatever you decide to make will be beautiful! I'm like Sarah, I've seen a swift! I wouldn't know what to with it! :) Have fun and thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's always exciting getting new yarn. Looks like you got a few of them in great colors. Have fun playing with them.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well that beautiful eye candy. Love the green and darker blue.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think your yarns are such soft and pretty colors! I just received a yarn winder for Christmas, but I think I need the swift, too. My Grandmother used to call it a niddy-noddy - don't know why, but it seems a fit description! Can't wait to see what you create with all that luscious, woolly goodness! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh you are full of secret doings lately Amy ;) Your swift looks so cool, and what a pretty cake you made! I inherited my yarn stash, and it's taking a long time to work through it. Trying to match up a pattern with the yarns doesn't always work (for me). When I do buy yarn, I only buy what I need too as I find it so pricey compared to fabrics. Looking forward to seeing what you're making.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love all of your yarn and your Swift set-up is impressive. I'm off to the Edinburgh Yarn Festival on Saturday to take a class with Woolly Wormhead, the Queen of Hat Architecture. Are you on Ravelry, Amy?You can have your patterns tested on a few different 'boards.

    ReplyDelete
  31. oh such a cute little yarn cake x

    ReplyDelete
  32. What beautiful colors. Can't wait to see the end product!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love all the blues, very pretty. X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx