Monday, 14 March 2016

The fruits of labours

This post is neither about fruit, or labour!  You will probably be glad to hear that it isn't anything to do with labour...

I wanted to show you the fruits of my and Hubby's labours in the garden yesterday.  The sun shone and it is still shining today!  Yay for that!!  I hope that the sun is shining today for you too. 

There is still lots to do in the garden, yesterday was our first day of gardening probably since November sometime I would guess.  There are weeds to be removed, twigs and acorns to be gathered up along with the last of the leaves lurking in the borders.  There are dead bits of plant to be taken away and much tidying up to be done.

When all of that is sorted the furniture will be uncovered, ornaments added back to the garden - we are good and put them away for the winter - and we can add new plants for this year.  Lots to do, but lots to look forward to as well.

There are so many daffodils out in the garden at the moment that look very pretty and cheery now that the sun is out and shining upon them.


On to what we did!


Cutting back all of the dead bits from these two chrysanthemums.  I am not sure if the bottom one will make it, but the top one looks pretty healthy doesn't it.



I weeded three of the raised beds and took out all of the dead leaves and moss and other things that had gathered there over the winter - some of the squirrels acorn stash!!


Hubby planted some primulas which are just randomly put in, but add some colour and cheer and something to look at when you look out of the window.  Later in the spring I will take everything out of this bed and replant it with some new things.

 

Hubby weeded this bed, removed all of the dead old plants and other bits and pieces.  Then he got really inspired and painted the "rocket" or the trellis thingy which was silver from when it was parts of a bookcase - we upcycled it! - but had started to rust.  It is now a dark green and looks much more stylish!  If such a word can be used for such an object that is.


The final "doing" job was emptying out the geranium pots.  They didn't make it.  So they are now gone to the compost heap and I will get new ones.  Sad, but not the end of the world.



Today I nipped out to get some photos of other garden happenings as I really need to start chronicling it otherwise the year will go by and you will not see the garden grow at all.



I already mentioned the daffodils, aren't they so beautiful!




We have lots of clumps of crocuses too.  I think that perhaps I will try and divide some of these clumps when they finish flowering.  I plan to divide some of the snowdrops as well.



This border isn't looking too promising right now, but there are a variety of things planted in here and I hope that the wallflowers which have started to bloom will improve and flower more as the weather gets better.  Gosh, that was a long sentence!



In the grass the random flowers are still blooming.  There used to be a flower bed here when we moved it, we removed it, but didn't manage to get all of the bulbs so these come up every spring.  We leave them to flower as they are so pretty and when the leaves have died down we just mow over it and then for the rest of the year it just looks like the rest of the lawn.

There is one random daffodil!



The yucca sprouts are still doing well.  When it gets warmer I will cut off the now dead bit in the middle, but I don't want to shock it while it is still cold.  You can see below that it is still chilly in these parts.  This was the temperature - centigrade - today at midday....


Well I will leave you with some more crocuses!  Hope you are having a good day.


Today I am joining with Judith at Lavender Cottage for Mosaic Monday and Karen at Pumpkin Sunrise for what I did this weekend.  Do go and visit!

Amy

50 comments:

  1. Your garden is so full of spring already, love the way you have flowers coming up in the lawn. I need to get outside and weed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, your garden is looking lovely. Our spring is a little slow around here. The daffies and crocuses are beautiful. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yucca shoots are looking very healthy. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, lovely colours of Spring blooms and the promise of lots to come. I really need to take a leaf out of your book and get to work in the garden here. The weather has certainly improved, so really I've no excuse. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lavender (purple) and yellow, so fabulous. Don't you just love the unfolding of spring?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty Amy, I love the spring when everything starts to come to life againxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring! It's here! All looking good Amy. Have a great week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your upcycled rocket! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed being out in the garden with you to see all your projects and the spring flowers. Your temp is 48.2F. We reached that yesterday, but today is more chilly. I have not been able to get into the garden for fear bad weather is coming, but I did pick up sticks yesterday,

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love spring, it's the best time. Your garden looks lovely. Have a great week. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! I'm still waiting for something to pop up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its looking really good, we have finally managed to get out into our garden today but the back is still too wet to do much. Love the beautiful spring bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks so happy! Love the smiling daffodils, you're certainly a whole lot further than we are. As the early morning fog burns off you can see the trees starting to bud. Spring is in the air. fondly ~ lynne ~

    ReplyDelete
  14. You garden is looking good for March, wont be long before its all bursting with colour :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was kinda looking forward to a mango or a pineapple.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a very productive weekend. I love your 'rocket' - great upcycling. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking good Amy! Soon you'll be able to sit outside in the sun, enjoying the beauty. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh your daffs are so beautiful Amy - and just bring a huge smile to my face!! Good work by both of you - things are starting to really shape up around there. Weeding, planting, growing - some of my favorite words this time of year! I can't wait!! But I enjoy living through you in the meantime. ;) Thanks for sharing Hon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Amy,

    You and your hubby had a productive day in the garden! I do love spring bulbs; snowdrops are a favorite, as well as purple, yellow, and white crocuses. As for daffodils, I can never have too many. Yours are beautiful and cheerful! Your raised garden beds are very nice; we hope to build some of those here, and your green obelisk looks lovely. :)

    Visiting from Mosaic Monday and the state of North Carolina in the U.S. I enjoyed your post and hope you have a great week!

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely pictures. What is the plan for the rocket/trellis thing? Great recycling idea I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Amy,
    I was working like a trouper in the garden yesterday too. I managed to get lots done. It's amazing what a bit of sunshine does to my get up and go! Your daffs look lovely.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. A good day all round there. I did a load of tidying two weeks ago and it looks even better in sunlight. jo x

    ReplyDelete
  23. all such lovely photos of cheerful SPRING Flowers. We are a bit behind here in Chicago but it will come

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wasn't it a gorgeous day yesterday? We spent time in the garden too doing much the ssame jobs as you did. It is great to get out into the garden again and after yesterday its feels like spring may finally be on the way:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's looking very tidy and cheerful. Lots to do in my garden too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amy, That was a bit of work but obviously very satisfying. The green trellis thingy looks great. Thanks for sharing. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's been lovely having some good weather and being able to get out in the garden again, we were doing jobs out there this weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looking good! Isn't Spring just the best time ever! :-)

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  29. Isn't it wonderful to be let out of the house again with a trowel! x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your garden is looking very colourful and very tidy! Doesn't the sun make all the difference. Looking forward to seeing your garden later on in the year. B x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gosh you had a busy day in the garden, and it is looking great! Isn't it lovely to get out in the garden and to anticipate all those days to come spent outside?
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nothing nicer than spending time working in the garden. It all looks lovely :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. It all looks very tidy Amy, amazing the difference a bit of sunshine makes xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hurray for Spring & all the beauty in your garden! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Loving all your daffodils and crocuses, as you are getting your garden ready for spring/summer, I am readying mine for autumn/winter.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Everything is looking lovely, I love spring flowers, so colourful after a dull cold winter. My poor garden is lacking love and care just now and the ground is still very wet. I'm hoping that this spell of nice weather continues and dries the garden enough to do some much needed weeding. x

    ReplyDelete
  37. It definitely is more stylish. Your garden looks lovely already and the sunshine makes so much difference. I'm a bit scared to cut things down just yet in case it's a bit cold, I have no idea if that makes any difference or not ha! The weather forecast looks bright for the rest of the week, we even managed a walk with the dog in daylight after dinner tonight, Spring is in the air xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. We had a lovely day here today too. Sunny but still a bit too chilly to be doing much outside yet. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my goodness, Amy! Thanks for the sunny dose of SPRING! I have just a few yellow crocus. That's it! Your garden looks so good already. Well done, getting out there and making everything all good and ready!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Amy! Oh, you've been busy and your plants look wonderful! It's still dead as a door knob around here! Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  41. You two were busy! We had a similar day on Saturday and have an enormous pile of brush at the end of the driveway for the city to pick up later this week. I was surprised to see that my geraniums survived outside, and I have put them in a sunny spot to encourage new growth. I love spring and your garden is lovely in this prettiest of seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow -- look at all the flowers -- I love daffodils and can't wait until ours come up -- I think we still have three or four weeks or so. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I cannot wait to get out in our yard and do some work. It will be raining for the next few days, but after that I will.

    ReplyDelete
  44. It looks like such a wonderful, sunny day out in the garden. Beautiful daffodils! They are such lovely, cheery flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Gorgeous, Amy. I for one am a big fan of daffodils - so cheerful, bright, and Yellow! The photo with Daffs, crocus and snowdrops is beautiful - how lovely to have that in your lawn. Well, it is certainly change of season time - we started doing much the same things at our place last weekend - the only difference being we are finally getting past the relentless heat which makes going outside impossible, whereas you are leaving winter behind. Other than that, we are both into new flowers, new pots, dead-heading, etc. I have brought my succulents back to life with a flourish and am planning the winter pansies as we speak :) Have a fun week.

    ReplyDelete
  46. look at all of your beautiful sunshine! the flowers! the outdoors! it is ever so dreary here and the clouds are just everywhere. Our snow drops are just blooming and the daffodils will be next :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Your garden looks beautiful and well loved (unlike mine). Love the daffodils, my favourite flower, they are just so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I am envious of the spring flowers you have already. We have some leaves up about 5cm so far and since it's early to see them this year, I'm quite excited. The bulbs still coming up in the grass are pretty, I'd like to plant some for the same effect this fall. A fellow blogger has created a heart with crocuses in grass and it looks nice each year.

    ReplyDelete
  49. What a busy day. And your work has given you a very pretty garden. I just love the Spring.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx