Tuesday, 9 February 2016

Pancake Day

Today is Shrove Tuesday, also called Pancake Day!

This is the day when we traditionally make pancakes to use up all of the good things to eat before we start the period of symbolic fasting that is Lent.  These days the fasting takes the form of "giving up" things like sweets or cake.  In centuries past it would have been a much more serious fast, eating meat would have been forbidden during Lent for example.

"English" pancakes are more like crepes than American pancakes which tend to be fatter and fluffier.


I have eaten up all of my Christmas chocolates and most other sweets, I have just a few sweets left to finish up today and then I will be giving them up for Lent.  I am also trying not to eat any biscuits or cake.  There will be an exception for Birthday Cake though!

If you want to try and make English Pancakes today here is the recipe.  Also converted into cups.

250 g Plain Flour (2 Cups All Purpose Flour)
600 ml Semi Skimmed Milk (2.5 Cups 2% Milk)
2 Large Eggs
Pinch of salt

Mix well together in a large bowl.  Allow to sit for as long as you can bear - at least an hour, but can go all day in the fridge.

Heat a frying pan until very hot, melt a small knob of butter into the pan, swirl around the pan.  Add a small amount of batter to the pan - approximately a quarter of a cup - and swirl until the base of the pan is covered in a thin layer of batter.  You can always add a little more if there are any large holes.


You can see just how thin it is.

Allow to cook over medium high heat until you see that the top looks dry and the edges start to lift away from the pan.  Take a spatula and ease the edge all the way round and shake the pan to loosen the pancake.  The first side should be a light golden brown all over or in places.  I then turn the pancake using the spatula, but if you are feeling brave you can toss the pancake.


This is what the first side will look like.

Allow to cook for a moment on the other side until it starts to have golden brown spots.


This is what the second side will look like.

Remove from the pan and either serve immediately, or put on a plate in a warm oven and continue cooking until they are all done and then serve them all together.


Serve traditionally with lemon juice and sugar sprinkled liberally over each one and then roll them up into a tube.



The first pancake will inevitably not be very good.  That is OK, it is the cooks perk - they get to eat it as well as their own share!  So if your first one looks like this don't worry.  Just eat it up quickly before anyone else notices!


In a large frying pan this makes about 11 pancakes, but would make more if you used a smaller pan of course.  You can also halve the recipe to make less pancakes very successfully.

I hope that you will enjoy some pancakes today before the start of Lent.

Linking with Cooking and Crafting with J & J.

Amy

37 comments:

  1. Ha ha, cooks perks! you did well to get some pics while cooking. I would have pancakes hanging from the ceiling x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always miss out on Pancake Day as it's my yoga class on Tuesdays. Luckily I have a day off today so we're having them for breakfast :) Lemon and sugar is the best. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum. we had them for breakfast x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all ready to make them today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder why the first one is never very good? It's true though, it never is. I'm a bit of a wimp and also uncoordinated, so always use a spatula to flip mine. Happy pancake eating. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to making pancakes for my boys later this afternoon. They wouldn't thank me for lemon juice and sugar (though that is my favourite filling), they go for Nutella, jam, chopped bananas with toffee sauce, or make it savoury with grated cheese. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love pancakes. I'm a traditionalist with the lemon and sugar but my eldest daughter is partial to a bit of Nutella on hers. Enjoy your pancakes today xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely love pancakes with lemon and sugar!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post, yep we are all ready for pancake day, I love it! Lemon and sugar or chocolate and strawberries in house. Enjoyxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I've never had English pancakes, but I do think I would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never had pancakes with lemon and sugar!?! My mom used to make 'special' pancakes for me with jelly...rolled up and sprinkled with sugar. It's pancakes for us tonight too!!!! (We love breakfast for dinner.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The kids have their pancake lunch today, so it's pancakes all around!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely, your pancakes look delicious. We had some for lunch with orange juice and I really enjoyed them:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely tradition for Lent. English pancakes sound and look wonderful!
    xo
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pancakes with lemon and sugar for us. I've just made my batter as I like it to rest for a while. Yours look fantastic Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely, you can't beat a bit of lemon and sugar with them x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those pancakes look pretty tasty.

    I'm a WAFFLE girl myself. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haven't had crepes in forever, yours look good. Last time I had them it was with chocolate sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Making my mouth water just looking at them, we're having them later with lemon and sugar, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh they look good! We have them with ice cream and strawberries - Spanish obvs ha! Enjoy lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. My first pancake is always rubbish! I claim I do it this way on purpose!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just gobbled up two pancakes with lemon and sugar, it was yummy. I don't 'do' lent but try to eat less cake anyway. Thanks for the recipe. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not too keen on pancakes although Harry had some American style ones for breakfast. xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the first pancake - it is usually looks rubbish but it always tastes fine! :oD

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nicely stuffed with pancakes here, and ready for the less indulgent days of Lent. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pancakes are always a big hit in our house but sadly there was no time to cook any today in between me getting home from work and husband taking daughter off for the evening to football training, so we shall be eating ours at the weekend. Isn't it funny how the first pancake is always a bit of a runt?
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. They look wonderful to me!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this idea of eating pancakes before Lent starts!
    Thanks for sharing this pancake recipe at Cooking and Crafting with J&J!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am heading right over for my share, they look delicious.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  30. I made "silver dollar" pancakes for the kids today. Usually we eat them with maple syrup of course, but today I sprinkled the little pancakes with icing sugar. The kids inhaled them! I love crepes too, and we usually eat them with diced fruit inside ... yummy!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is just how I like my pancakes, nice and thin with sugar and sometimes lemon. I wouldn't be game enough to toss them either, I use a spatula - and i love the idea of the cooks perk :)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  32. I can almost smell those delicious pancakes from here! Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great pancakes..I love them though can't cook them for toffee..thankfully dear husband to the rescue..hope you enjoyed lots.xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Those pancakes look wonderful! For some reason, Shrove Tuesday is called Fat Tuesday here and just prior to Mardi Gras. I'd rather it be called Shrove Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a sweet, delicious looking post, dear Amy! Oh, I am a big fan of crepes...especially in the wintertime on a chilly afternoon! Ah...nothing quite like a yummy pancake and a cup of hot tea to make you smile!
    As you can see...I am just loving your blog...thank you for sharing your world with us!
    Hugs n' love!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow...these look so delicious! YUM!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx