Monday, 1 February 2016

Strange times

January was a strange month.  Today, the first of February should be the start of a new month and the start of new good things.  Instead though it leaves me looking back at January shaking my head in disbelief and wonder.

Yesterday the world lost a great man, Sir Terry Wogan.  It has been, as you all know, a month of losses of some very famous people who were very dear to our hearts, and dearer of course to the hearts of their own families.

Notable losses from the world of entertainment which we have, perhaps, noted more than some others.  David Bowie, Alan Rickman and Ed Stewart are some of the names that you may recognise alongside Sir Terry.  There is a long list of people, some you will have heard of, many probably not, who died so far in 2016 here.

I don't usually go in for "memorial" type posts.  Not because I have anything against them, I don't, but somehow they just aren't me and I don't usually know what to say.  In common with many people, I am not good with death.

Sir Terry Wogan's death though has shocked me more than any of the others.  Such a sudden surprise, another shock in January and a great loss to us all.

Sir Terry Wogan on Weekend Wogan


Sir Terry was a great man by all accounts.  He helped to raise hundreds, probably thousands, of millions of pounds for Children In Need which will be a great legacy.  We think of him with a smile, with kindness and affection.

For so many years I woke up to him on the radio, drove to work listening to him and enjoyed his broadcasts and the fun he had to share.  I have donated to Children In Need more than once because of him.

As I said, I am not good with death, I am not really sure why I am writing this, other than to share my sadness at the loss of another great man - it seems me have lost a lot of men from the world this year - and to somehow say goodbye to him.

I will leave it there.  Comments are closed today.  Normal service will resume tomorrow.

Much love to all of you who are struggling with illness or death or anything else difficult in your life.

Amy

No comments: