Wednesday, 24 February 2016

Half Granny Square

Last week I showed you how to make a basic Granny Square and said that I would share some variations with you.  Today, I have the Half Granny Square.  This is useful if you are working with any sort of staggered pattern.

I will take you through the tutorial first of all.  There is a written pattern and chart at the end of this post.  All instructions are in English Terms, but remember there are conversion charts available, you can find them via the links in the sidebar under Crochet Patterns and Tutorials.



Begin making the square as per the basic Granny Square.  Chain 4, Slip Stitch into the first Chain.

Then, as per the basic square Chain 2 (counts as first Treble) and then 1 Treble into the ring.  However, only do 1 Treble instead of 2.

Chain 2, Treble 3 into the ring, Chain 2 and Treble 2 into the ring. 

Your piece should now look like this and should comprise the CH4 ring, CH2 counting as a TR, TR1, CH2, TR3, CH2, TR2.


You then need to turn your work over, and you will work back in the opposite direction to make the second round of the work.  Chain 2, counts as first TR

Work 3 Trebles into the chain two space of the previous round.  Chain 2, Treble 3 into the same space.  Work 3 Trebles into the next chain two space of the previous round, Chain 2, Treble 3 into the same space.

Treble 1 into the space between the last two TR's of previous round.

Your piece should now look like this and this round should comprise CH2 counting as a TR, TR3, CH2, TR3, TR3, CH2, TR3, TR1.


Again you need to turn the work over to work the next round.

Chain 2 to count as first Treble.  Treble into the space between the first Treble and the group of three trebles of the previous round.

Treble 3 into the chain two space of the previous round, Chain 2, Treble 3 into the same chain two space.

Treble 3 into the space between the next group of the three trebles in the previous round.

Treble 3 into the chain two space of the previous round, Chain 2, Treble 3 into the same chain two space.

Treble 2 into the space between the last group of three trebles and the last single treble of the previous round.

Your work should now look like this and this round should comprise CH2 counting as a TR, TR3, CH2, TR3, TR3, TR3, CH2, TR3, TR2.



You can see that this block is about 7 cm's long and is about 3.5 cm's wide.  This is will therefore work as a half block in your larger piece of work.


To continue, keep working round, turn the work at the end of each round.  Alternate the rounds by starting the first one with two Trebles, then the next round should be started and ended with one Treble and so on.

The pattern for this block is as follows

CH4 ring, SS into first CH to form ring.

Round One - CH2 counting as a TR, TR1, CH2, TR3, CH2, TR2.  Turn work over.

Round Two - CH2 counting as a TR, TR3, CH2, TR3, TR3, CH2, TR3, TR1.  Turn work over.

Round Three - CH2 counting as a TR, TR3, CH2, TR3, TR3, TR3, CH2, TR3, TR2.

Repeat rounds two and then three to make the half square bigger turning the work at the end of each round.

When the half square is as big as you want it to be tie off the work, sew in the ends and use the piece.

This is the chart which should help!



Enjoy making and using your half squares.

Amy

15 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, thanks for sharing your wonderful tutorial on how to make a half granny square!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, just doing a catchup of your posts and love your buttony hoops (may I call them that?). I'd never get all my vases on top of my dryer, but love what I've got and do use so many. I've never thought about a half granny, but thanks so much for the instructions, as one day I may need it. Don't worry about the commenting as you've so many to read and we all need to keep our lives and craft together, don't we. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wished I still had my crochet yarn and tools. I never could make a granny square.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so kind to share this tutorial Amy :) Enjoy your day ... we're waiting for a snow/rain/wind?! storm, but nothing yet (maybe it's all hype).
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever heard of a half-granny before, you make it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post and photos .You make it look and sound so easy nice job ! As for me I didn't get my mums crafty side lol of crochet , embroidery , knitting or sewing wish I had I dabble but nothing to much ever comes out of it lol one day I hope to pick it up I would like to make my own aprons or as mum called them pinny's . Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so good at this "useful information I didn't think I needed to know but now I do" thing! Great tutorial - Thanks lovely :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You ladies are so clever at doing this. Maybe I should learn to do a Grandpa square . . . . :)
    Something which might amuse you at mine. Remember the pig jokes? . . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so talented! Thanks for another lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great tutorial, thank and you Amy!

    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx