Wednesday, 10 February 2016

Crochet leaves - pattern

Now that I am concentrating more on crochet and pattern making I hope to have something to share with you once a week to help you along with your own crocheting experience and knowledge.

This week I have been making some little leaves to add to my spring wreath.  They are quite small, I have made larger leaves in the past, but for my wreath I wanted something quite dainty as the flowers are not that large and I didn't want the leaves to overpower the flowers.

I have four leaves to share with you today.  I have written out the patterns in UK terms, but in the chart at the end you can see the US conversions and explanations of what the abbreviations mean - such as CH for chain.


For all of these leaves use a 4mm hook (US G) and some aran weight cotton yarn - I used Rico Creative Cotton.  Different yarns and different sized hooks will result in different sized leaves if you want to increase or decrease the size.

We shall start with the Tiny Leaf.


CH 7
DC into second CH from hook
HTR into next CH
TR into next CH
HTR into next CH
DC into next CH
SS into next CH

Tie off work and sew in ends.

Next is the Thin Leaf.


CH7
DC into second CH from hook
*HTR into next CH
TR into next CH
HTR into next CH
DC into next CH*
Ignore next CH and turn work round, but not over
DC into next CH - to match the first side
Repeat from * to *
SS into next CH

Tie off work and sew in ends

A variation on this is the Fat Leaf.


CH 7
DC into second CH from hook
*HTR into next CH
TR into next CH
Do another TR into the same CH
HTR into next CH
DC into next CH
Ignore next CH and turn work round, but not over
DC into next CH - to match the first side
Repeat from * to *
SS into next CH

Tie off work and sew in ends

Finally we have the Trio Leaf.  This is a variation on the Tiny Leaf.


*CH 7
DC into second CH from hook
HTR into next CH
TR into next CH
HTR into next CH
DC into next CH
SS into next CH*
Repeat from * to * twice
SS into first CH from first leaf

You should now have your finished leaf or leaves!  They can be used in a variety of ways, but here you can see them added to my wreath.  They add a good contrast to all of the colour of the flowers.


Just a few leaves here and there!



This is the chart to show how the different leaves are worked as well as the US Terms should you wish to convert them.


Please remember that these are my patterns, although there are bound to be lots of other similar leaves out there, so please do not sell or reproduce this pattern and chart.  If you want to find it again in the future I will be adding links to the sidebar for you to use to come back here.

I hope that you enjoy making lots of leaves for your floral projects!

Amy

34 comments:

  1. Your wreath is lovely and very spring-like, Amy. Thank you for your leaf patterns - you have drawn them out very clearly. I always make my own leaf designs as I crochet and then forget how I did them! Have a lovely week :)
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute little leaves and your wreath is beautiful - hope it doesn't get too wet in all this stormy weather! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY AMY, I think your leaf patterns, are the VERY FIRST crochet patterns I understand properly. I can do the basic crochet stitches, and your triple leaf one, I read, translating it into my head, clearly seeing it in my mind! I think you may have cured ( or at least lifted the mist ) on my crochet blindness!! I'll give them a go later on X THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy! It's always useful if you can make some leaves to go with your crochet flowers, they would make a nice addition to a crochet flower brooch! Thanks for sharing!

    Ingrid xx
    Myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the leaf patterns and I think I'd even be able to do that. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty. I am hoping to make a lovely floral wreath when I have finished to the aran cardigans I am knitting.
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely leaves, Amy. Thanks for sharing your patterns. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great to see your wreath with the sun shining on it! Makes it look even better. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely wreath, and the cute leaves certainly add to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are so talented, I love the different leaves but I really love your pattern page, that is a true piece of beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The wreath looks lovely in the sunshine Amy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice easy pattern to follow. I wonder why the British and English stitches are different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your guess is as good as mine! I always say that I speak English in three languages, Australian English, English English and American English!! It is good to have our own quirks isn't it!

      Delete
  13. That wreath is so cheerful! Love the little leaves added to it.
    Have a happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Amy. So good to have nice clear patterns to use. This is one that I will definitely save :) Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your directions are clear and thorough! Love the leaves. I may have to get my hook out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh fab, I shall give these ago & perhaps buy a wreath too x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your crochet wreath creations is real cute.
    I never could how my thread correct to crochet

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Amy - even I can follow the patterns!!!!! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your wreath helps remind me Spring isn't far away xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sweet, Amy! Your wreath is darling! Thank you for sharing these :) xx K

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your spring wreath is so darling! This makes me want to get out my crochet hook and give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful leaves Amy!! I love crochet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are so sweet to share these patterns. You are the BEST! We will LEAVE it at that, shall we? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. The green leaves really make the spring colors of your crocheted flowers pop!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love that chart of yours, it is perfect and so readable, is that a word? I can't wait to make a few leaves.
    Hugs to you Amy, by the way I am loving your new look.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amy, your crocheted leaves are darling, and I absolutely adore your sweet spring wreath! I will have to keep it in mind and make it when spring comes around to South Africa again!
    Oh, and I just love the name of your blog...it is so charming!
    Blessings...
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sweet patterns Amy! Love the chart! Nice to know where to find your pattern will be too. Thank you Amy.
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love these Amy!! So sweet. ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yay, for you!!! Your leaves are so sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. The leaves are wonderful! And I absolutely adore your spring wreath! So pretty! What an awesome project. Glad you shared the directions.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx