Friday, 6 November 2015

Five On Friday

Hello!  Five On Friday time again!!  Where does the time go.  Last week I was gearing up for Halloween, and now I am thinking that the pumpkins really need to be put away again.  Of course this week has passed in a coldy haze as you all know.  Things are improving daily you will be glad to hear, so I will not mention it again!  Until the next time....

Thank you again for the good wishes!  Much appreciated.

Coldy comments aside, let's get on with the show, or post!

One

My "seasonal" cactus is really in full bloom now!!  Isn't it fabulous.  I am so very pleased.  Several of you have asked how I got it to flower.  I am afraid that I have no answer for you.  The plant was bought towards the end of November last year, it sat on the windowsill in the kitchen - morning light, but not that much - until the early part of this year.  Watered about once a week with a splash of tap water.  Then it was moved to its current location.  A bright, but not in direct sun, windowsill on the stairs.  Again watered once a week or so with a splash of tap water.  Other than that, neglect!  No feeding or anything.  So, not much help I suspect!!  I imagine that they don't like drafts and too much sun, although good light.  Hope that yours all flower soon though.




You will have seen that Mr Wildebeest appeared front ways on this week.  He wanted to say hello!  We try and keep him happy.  He is prone to jumping off the windowsill otherwise.


 Two

There are still - I know, I am amazed too! - flowers flowering in the garden.  Albeit in a kind of drowned rat, wish that I could just finish flowering and go to sleep kind of way, but it is still great to see them.  Here is a selection.












Three

Some of you have been kind enough to say that our garden looks so tidy.  Fear not, it isn't really.  Just look at this leafy and dead evidence!  My tip.  Take photos looking down from upstairs windows.  You can't see the mess then!!








Four

Christmas Day is 7 weeks today!!  Eeekkk!!!  I really must get on with getting organised.  I bought fruit to make the cake which I will try and get done this weekend.  Some shopping and making has been done, but there is more to do.  Still waiting to see who is going to end up going where.....

I have yet to sort out the gift situation for the soon to be 21 year old.  Coward that I am!

Thank you to everyone who has joined the card swap.

The card swap is still open for a week, so don't forget to sign up now if you want to take part.  If you  left a comment on the sign up post I have assumed that you want to join in.  Although I am now aware that at least one person hadn't intended that to be the case.  So if you didn't want to join in - which is totally fine! - please can you either drop me an e-mail to let me know or just delete your comment.  Truly I won't mind and would rather not sign you up if you hadn't intended to join in.  If you can go and check your name/comments I would be very grateful.

Five

In November the average temperature where we live is supposed to be about 10 degrees (centigrade).  Yesterday afternoon when it was cooler than it has been and raining it was 14 degrees.  No wonder the flowers are still flowering.

Supposedly we are going to have the coldest winter for 50 years.  I hope that we don't.  In the meantime I am glad that the temperatures are still so mild!!


Those are my five things for this week.  The plan for the weekend?  Christmas cake making, catching up on blogs and starting to comment again now that I am not feeling all cross eyed.  Oh, and I am waaaayyy behind on a crochet job or two that need to get finished.

As I have had to hold off replying to comments I am planning to go through and do another Q & A post at some point.  So if you have any Q's, let me know and I will try and include them.  If I get chance I will start to work on this over the weekend as well.

In the meantime, Gillian, sorry, no pictures of the shawl at the wedding.  Or me.  Or anyone else!  I didn't want to lug my great big camera and I don't have one on my phone - yes, really, a phone with no camera!  Very sorry.  Also, I have to confess.  I did take it and wear it, but it was so cold that I also wore a cardigan and so you couldn't really see the shawl.  I have done a ta dah post though, so you can look back for that and see the finished shawl and the dress I wore!

I hope that you all have a great weekend.  If your schedule allows, do go and read some other Five On Friday posts and leave a comment!

Happy Friday!

Amy

********************

Thank you - as always! - for joining in last week.  I look forward to reading your posts again this week too!  Remember, anyone is more than welcome to join in, read this bit below, go and visit the Five On Friday page and then write your own post and then come back here and link in!



If you want to grab a Five On Friday Button or get more information about how to join in the All About Five On Friday page will tell you all that you need to know.

The Five On Friday "opening hours" are from 6 am on Friday until 7 pm on Saturday.  Please include a link or the button to my Five On Friday post within your post, or to make reference within your post to the button if it is in your sidebar.  This is to be fair to everyone.

If you want to check out anything else about Five On Friday see the All About Five On Friday page - top right of my sidebar.

To visit other bloggers taking part, just click on the links at the end of the post.  Please do go and visit their lovely posts!

*********************

47 comments:

  1. Amazing cactus and so many flowers still in the garden - wow!
    We have -3° - 5° normally, but when the sun is shining, it will be 10-15° at the day, I enjoy every warm day and have worries about the forthcoming long cold winter..
    Get well soon and have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. We still have flowers, geraniums and fuschias, I cut the roses the other day and brought them in to enjoy the last blooms, Cosmos is putting on a good show I also brought the last of the gladioli in, your grapes are looking fab are you doing anything with them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy, Well, your cactus is glorious, and obviously loves where you place it. Hope it stays around for Christmas. We still have a few flowers too, but for the opposite of reasons. The Summer heat has hit this week, and the Spring flowers are dying rapidly. Most of the pansies gone, petunias finished, etc. Roses are having a burst, which is nice. I love a pink cosmos, one of my faves, and yours are so pretty. I find it difficult to keep them going. Coldest winter in 50 years???? What is that about - I hope it does mean we get the hottest summer for 50 years, or I am coming over there! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are sounding much brighter today, hooray! Your cactus and garden are blooming marvellous some bright colour at this gloomy time of year. I hope we aren't in for a dreadful winter although we have had so many berries this year which is usually a sign of it. I can't even think about Christmas yet but it will soon be here won't it. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eek! 7 weeks, the weather certainly doesn't make you think so does it? So lovely to see so much colour still around though. Happy Friday and thanks for hosting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy, Sorry to hear about your cold, hopefully that will be you done for the winter. I still have flowers too, it is unbelievable isn't it? The flowering cactus is magnificent, such a gorgeous shade of pink. Have a lovely weekend Christmas cake making - traditionally I make mine this weekend too, but too far behind this year. Thank you for hosting x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cactus is amazing and it looks like there are still lots of buds waiting to open. I too am loving having blooms still in the garden, what a treat to see these splashes of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 7 weeks - Aagh! Your cactus is lovely and I'm rather partial to Mr. Wildebeest too! Have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is looking very good. Plans here, too, for Christmas cake making at some point in the next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to hear you are feeling a lot better. We still have a few flowers blooming but not as many as you have, it has been unseasonally warm hasn't it? I do hope we don't have a very cold winter. Your cactus is amazing and must make you smile every time you pass it by:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your flowering cactus is certainly fab, Amy. Look at that wonderful bright colour! Also glad to hear that you're feeling much better. Enjoy your cake making and crochet this weekend. Take care! X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cactus is looking fabulous, I hope it continues to flower right over the Christmas period for you. Only seven weeks away now, I don't know where this year has gone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for feeling better!
    Yay for flowers blooming in November...I have some, too, but not as many as you!
    Yay for a gorgeous Christmas cactus? Mine is an Easter cactus so I am banishing it to a far corner...it is huge.
    Just so you will know, I am on board for the card exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear you are feeling better. I've had one of those cactus plants for 20+ years. It doesn't get much attention! The plant forms buds once the daylight hours shorten. Somehow it knows! Mine probably needs water right now....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad you are feeling better! Have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you're feeling better, I'm amazed at the number of flowers your still have blooming. It's warm here, but most of the flowers are gone, just roses, pansies and chrysanthemums.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful flower photos. I am glad that you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Christmas Cactus looks so pretty in full bloom. I have one but it's not doing too good. I've had it for years sitting on a table in the living room and it did great but this summer I thought to put it out on our front porch and it nearly died. I've heard they like dark places. But I'm not very good with plants anyways. I'm surprised I've kept it alive this long. :)
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amy, plan to join in next Friday. Wonderful flower photos, and adore your Christmas cactus. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I bet 7 weeks to a child waiting for Santa sounds like f-o-r-e-v-e-r but, to us adults, it seems really soon. Ah well, look on the bright side - in 8 weeks it'll be next year! :oD

    Glad you're feeling better! Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your Christmas cactus is just so wonderful! Love how happy it is! And your garden flowers are still so beautiful too! Love them. Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your cactus looks so lovely. Glad you are feeling better. Have a great weekend. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Amy, we have been having glorious weather too. You are so lucky to still have blooms in your garden and your Christmas cactus is loaded. Enjoy the upcoming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. There is no better plant for a garden than a 'penstimon' it keeps on giving that plant. In fact, I need to get another one for my garden since we just had a clear out of woody stuff. Yours looks great. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoyed seeing all your flowers valiantly still blooming! I have some too. You have such a nice big garden! We're having a sunny day after many rainy dark ones.. such a gift. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your cactus is lovely. Lucky you to get it flowering so well. The garden is still looking good too. Hope the cold is improving and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awww your beautiful Christmas Cactus is stunning

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks so much for being a wonderful hostess as always! So happy you're feeling better!
    I know what you mean about the time flying!! EEeeekk!! I don't even want to think too much about it or I'll have a nervous fit! Lol

    That cactus is truly breathtaking Amy. Good on you for whatever you are or are not doing to it. Lol!! ;)

    And I just can't get over how many beautiful flowers you still have going strong there. Just beautiful!! Keep enjoying them while you're able Lady.

    Many blessings to you for continued improved health and a lovely weekend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. All your flowers are lovely, but I truly love the color of the cactus! So very pretty! All our flowers are gone for the season... everything is now brown... :-( Great post, I like the link up idea if I remember for next time I will give it a try, lol. Have a great evening!!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  30. A phone with no camera here too. Love the Christmas cactus, and all of your garden flowers. I took a photo of mine today as well, although they are looking far more battered than yours. You would laugh at my sad looking cosmos, all ragged and torn. I'm glad your cold is receding, I hope you have a lovely weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your cactus is beautiful! We just had our first big frost, so my outdoor flowers have all retired themselves. I have some very sad looking hanging baskets that need to be taken down. Summer is more than officially over. Seven more weeks? Ugh. It's hard to believe! Enjoy your weekend... good luck with whatever missions you hope to accomplish :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sorry to hear you haven't been well Amy, I do hope you recover soon (and at least it's out of the way for Christmas). I have a Christmas cactus at work that flowers at Easter??!! It is mild here too, very wet and blustery today but expected to reach the dizzy heights of 18 degrees, seems wrong when the Christmas decorations are out in the shops! Just realised I have said Christmas three times!... sorry four! Must get on with the lists!! Have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your garden looks so colourful, what a lot of lovely flowers you still have there! The cactus is a beautiful specimen....whatever you are doing it is obviously just the right thing! Glad to hear your cold is better, Amy. Have a great weekend.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am new to your blog and loving the amazing pictures of your garden. Good luck with the cake making this weekend. Mine has just been wrapped up ready for storing until Christmas...although I will visit it regularly to feed it a little something to make it extra delicious! B :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Some lovely photo's you've shared Amy ... your seasonal cactus is lovely, such a great shade.

    Have a good weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lovely pics to delight in Amy!
    Happy weekend,
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Amy Pleased to hear you are getting better and thanks for hosting Five on Friday. I love your flowers and am looking forward to seeing your Christmas prep.

    ReplyDelete
  38. That flowering cactus is beautiful, I only ever used to get about three flowers on mine, However my MIL had her's in a hanging basket outside (in a very sheltered spot) all year around, when it flowered it was always a mass of magenta blooms. Happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  39. It is awfully warm here in Germany too. 18 degrees today! Yuck! I have heard as well that the winter is supposed to be a cold one. Brrr. We shall see! Lots of reason to crochet warm hats and gloves I guess!

    Take care
    Anne
    Crochet Between Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  40. It's wonderful to see flowers in November! The Christmas cactus is so pretty.
    I don't like the thought of a cold winter!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your flowers and garden are just beautiful! I hope you are having a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  42. It's very warm here too and some flowers are still blooming !!!!!! I wish you a lovely weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  43. Ten degrees sounds like a lovely average temperature for November! But I'm sure the flowers in your garden are happy it's even warmer than that. Even photographed from a second storey window you could telly my gardens are not as neat as yours. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love seeing your garden and I hope the greenery helps you to feel better after suffering a cold. You have the formula right for the zygocactus. I have a couple and they do not like direct sun at all. They will tolerate a little bit of morning sun but that's about it. They do appreciate a sheltered spot but not too shady either. You must have the balance just right.
    I do hope your winter is not going to be the coldest ever. We are being threatened by an 'el Nino' weather pattern and a very hot summer. Last month was the hottest October ever on record with the temperature 5 degrees warmer than average. Then today it was supposed to be 31 degrees C and it ended up being 36 C so that fits with the extra 5 degrees I suppose! Our planet is swinging wildly isn't it? I do like your thermometer. So pretty. I wish it were 14 degrees here still. I must learn to be happy with my lot!
    May this message find you feeling happier and brighter and better than the day before. Say goodbye to that cold. Take care, Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your cactus has given me hope for mine, Amy! It's been threatening to flower for the last week or so but nothing so far. Fingers crossed we will see flowers by the time Christmas arrives! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow! Lovely flowers, but I really love the Christmas cactus!!!! Gorgeous♡♡♡♡

    Cheers, Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx