Friday, 2 October 2015

Five On Friday

Now that it is October I don't think that the arrival of autumn can be denied any more!  It has well and truly arrived and is here to stay for the next few months.  The skies though have been clear and blue this week and it has felt more like summer than it did all summer long.  It is a cheer for the soul to see the sun isn't it.

My autumn decorations are mostly done, although I will add some Halloween things later in the month and some pumpkins on the doorstep too.

The leaves are falling in the garden at quite a rate now and will continue to do so for some months.  The last of the oak leaves never fall until after Christmas.  There are lots of acorns - which will please Mr Squirrel and his bride who has made an appearance with him in the garden now!  Eeek, two squirrels to dig things up!!!!!

Bulbs are being planted and it really is time to admit defeat and empty the annuals out of the flower pots and let them go, they are neither use nor ornament at this stage of the year and I want to get my precious pots put away just in case we do suddenly get a freaky spell of frost.  Other things can stay awhile though.  The garden umbrellas can probably be safely stowed away now though.

The grapes are mostly ripe and are sour as usual, but the blackbirds will have a real feast on them and I love to watch them eating them so that is fine by me.  I don't grow them for us to eat.  The apples from the tree are hard as rocks and also sour so into the compost they go otherwise we are overrun with wasps.  I get given apples for eating from other people so we don't worry about them.

Anyway, enough of these autumn remembrances.  On to my five things for today!  Five photos from the front door arrangements for this year.


This pot contains a bay tree that we planted last year after all the building work was finished.  A sort of topping out ceremony, but in a pot!  The bay has grown really well and got very tall, so I took the top out of it and it has started to bush out.  Next year I will try and train it into a sort of rounded pyramid affair if I can.  We will see. 

All I have done is add a garland of artificial leaves around the edge of the pot and poked in a scarecrow to add some colour.  A little touch, but just enough for now.  Oh, and the bay tree looks a bit back to front because it is.  We turned the pot around as it was all rather one sided, so I hope that this side will fill out a bit now.


The giant chrysanthemum on the other side of the door is still doing really well too.  So many wonderful flowers and such a pretty colour.  Actually they change colour as they age which gives a nice two tone effect to the whole arrangement.  I do love to get a chrysanthemum for the door each year.


I tried to make an autumn wreath for the front door.  Well, let me tell you, it was horrible.  Really.  It was nasty.  I hated it.  So when I saw this in Homesense it made far more sense for me to purchase this wreath and hang this on the door instead of the creature from the deep that I had created.  It is a cheat and it wasn't cheap, but I will keep it to use from year to year, so it is an investment.  I am unlikely to buy anything else new for autumn and I have never had a nice autumn door arrangement, but now I have this.


Leaves are starting to gather on the doorstep and driveway and although I should sweep them up they add to the autumn feel of the arrangement so they can stay for now.  I probably should get rid of the weeds though!


Finally, the fifth photo, the whole door arrangement.  Both pots and the wreath, you cannot see any fallen leaves, but they were around, a little gust of wind blew them out of shot though and the neighbours would have thought me a little odd to pick up leaves to put into a photograph shot!  You can see just how bright and sunny it has been this week with the bright sun and shade in this photo.

There you have it, an arrangement for autumn!

I hope that you are enjoying spring or autumn depending on the part of the world you are living in and that you will have a great weekend!  If time is on your side, do go and read some more Five On Friday posts.  I will be by to read all of yours, see you over at your place later today!

Amy

********************

Thank you - as always! - for joining in last week.  I look forward to reading your posts again this week too!  Remember, anyone is more than welcome to join in, read this bit below, go and visit the Five On Friday page and then write your own post and then come back here and link in!



If you want to grab a Five On Friday Button or get more information about how to join in the All About Five On Friday page will tell you all that you need to know.

The Five On Friday "opening hours" are from 6 am on Friday until 7 pm on Saturday.  Please include a link or the button to my Five On Friday post within your post, or to make reference within your post to the button if it is in your sidebar.  This is to be fair to everyone.

If you want to check out anything else about Five On Friday see the All About Five On Friday page - top right of my sidebar.

To visit other bloggers taking part, just click on the links at the end of the post.  Please do go and visit their lovely posts!

*********************

64 comments:

  1. Lovely photos and decorations! The wreath is so beautiful.
    I cannot wait that the leaves stay golden, here is still many green around and I'm afraid, that frost will come earlier than golden autumn time. Must take care of my flowerpots...
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather has been glorious hasn't it, I've been out painting the garage while the sunny spell lasts. Paint in my hair now! Lovely autumn shots, especially that wreath, it will be a pleasure to hang it up each year I think. I hope you have a good weekend Amy. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh not even I can deny its autumn now ha! I am looking for a wreath too, we have had a new shop open by us so I am hoping o pick one up tomorrow, yours looks lovely on the door. I also love the chrysanthemum, its such a beautiful seasonal colour. Have a lovely weekend Amy and thank you for hosting xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful welcome to your home...you have invested wisely.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a welcome sight to see this as you come home. I'm about to do the same with my front door and to change the annuals either side of it. Then the pumpkins join them followed by all the bits and pieces to make the entrance more homely. Have a wonderful weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all looks very warm and inviting! I expect you will have a lot of extra visitors. Have a great weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chrysanthemum is gorgeous, Amy. I love fall flowers, they are like the last best guests staying behind at the end of a party.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving what you've done for autumn. I did think that you'd probably made the wreath, but yes, it is an investment as you can use it from year to year. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Amy! Your door arrangement looks lovely. I'm very fond of chrysanthemums too, also because the older and younger parts of the flowers create such beautiful combinations of colours. Your giant one is gorgeous.
    I don't believe the wreath you made was horrible, but the one you bought is pretty as well. :)
    Have a lovely first weekend of October! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The wreath is lovely and, combined with the plants, your front door looks so inviting and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It really is a cheer for the soul to see the sun and I'm glad we've had lots of lovely sunshine this week. Your Autumn decorations are just perfect. I'm particularly impressed with your chrysanthemums. They're beautiful! X

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gloriously autumnal welcome at your house. Your wreath looks splendid (not a cheat, just a treat!) and I'm sure will prove to be a wise buy. The weather here has been wonderful, too, so I should go make hay while the sun shines. Have a brilliant weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so pretty, Amy! Even I, who, as you know, isn't keen on lots of fol-de-rols around the house, knick-knackery and so forth, can admire that lovely wreath! It really says "Autumn"! I absolutely love it and if I'd seen it, I'd have nabbed it, too!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your seasonal decorations, Amy especially the door wreath which is beautiful - so bright and welcoming on your door:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your front door looks very pretty, especially in the bright sunshine! Love the colours in the mums :) Have a great weekend Amy.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great welcome, so warm and inviting. Love the wreath and it will last for a lot of years so it was a great investment. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, your wreath and pots are beautiful Amy, in such gorgeous Autumn tones. It is my favourite season - enjoy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This gorgeous autumn sunshine certainly cheers the soul, doesn't it? Lovely autumnal pots and wreath – I'm sure visitors love seeing what's on your door and front step each season. Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lovely display to welcome visitors to your house. I've only just started noticing leaves falling from the trees, as you say, there's no denying it's autumn now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Amy, Your Autumnal arrangements are beautiful and so colourful. I loe them.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. A lovely Autumnal post, Amy. Your home looks very welcoming. The wreath is so nice. You would think you'd made it. X

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Amy! Oh, what a lovely post of fall at your house. Your bay tree looks great and I love how you've added the leaves and little scarecrow to the pot. The mum is just so pretty. That is a lovely shade and looks so nice. Now, I adore the glass in your window and your door! You have a very welcoming and lovely entry to greet your guests! Thanks always for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really lovely front entrance fall arrangements! Autumn eludes us still here in the desert, as we have had two triple digit days of temps this week. Now it is supposed to never get above 99 again this year....I am so looking forward to 70s and 80s! It's hard to get into the swing of all but it is my favorite time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very pretty front porch. The color of those mums is lovely. Glad you've enjoyed nice weather. Very hot and humid here.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mums are so wonderful! I brake for mums.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very lovely! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the colour of those chrysanths! And your autumn wreath is beautiful too. Have a lovely weekend my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm sitting here in my short sleeves on the 2nd of October. I've been wearing cardigans all summer long and now I'm in short sleeves? It's nuts, isn't it?

    Your autumn door looks amazing. The pot of chrysanthemums is fabulous! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your door looks fantastic, love the colors of autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your front door looks great - fantastic wreath and the chrysanthemums are the perfect colour for the season. Have a lovely weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your front door area is so charming Amy! I love the little scarecrow - so darn cute!! That wreath is beautiful - and a great investment. I love that we're the same all over...I have similar mums, wreath, scarecrow etc to decorate my front. I'm not finished getting eveything all set, but I will soon and share pics!

    Just love this time of year and pouring over every one's Fall goodies too. Thanks for hosting and blessings on your weekend my Dear! I'll be gone during the Uncle Don visit next week, but back after that. ;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  32. What an amazing door, both autumnal and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That giant chrysanthemum is a beautiful colour and what a lot of flowers it has. I am relishing this Indian Summer and long may it continue.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh Amy your decorations are so pretty, I love autumn colours.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your decorations Amy especially the wreath. Have a great weekend. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your front door looks lovely, beautiful chrysanthemum!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Gorgeous autumn colours and decorations, Amy! I do love door wreaths and your autumn one looks lovely.
    Happy weekend.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yeah you are right it. I am happy to say Autumn now! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a welcoming doorstep. My doorstep pots are looking a little woebegone now and need sorting out for the autumn season. I like your wreath for the door, it's handy having things you can put up every year x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Such a beautiful Chrysanthemum. Decorating for the seasons (Christmas excluded) is something that is not really done in NZ, so always interesting to see what you do in the Northern Hemisphere.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Gorgeous and welcoming. The chrysanthemum is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a great idea to have a seasonal porch. The bronze chrysanthemum is gorgeous. Maybe you could try snipping off some flowers for an indoor arrangement and see if that encourages the plant to produce even more flowers from the side shoots?

    ReplyDelete
  43. The mums are beautiful! What an unusual mix of colors! Love it! Has your door always been orange? It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love your autumn wreath - shame yours didn't turn out too well.

    ReplyDelete
  45. wow - you are organised and your front door display looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Amy, I love the fall flowers and your pretty wreath. Happy Fall and October.
    Enjoy the weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  47. Ooooo... this is a lovely autumn post, Amy. Wonderful photos, beautiful colours.

    I've just linked up my post for today ... and I'm looking forwarding to visiting the other wonderful posts signed up today too.

    Wishing you a beautiful rest of the day,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  48. Amy - your front door display is wonderful, I love the colours just perfect.

    Have a good weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  49. Your front door and little porch area is so pretty! I love all the glass in your door and how you have everything decorated for autumn. The colors in your mums are fantastic...love how they're two-toned. I don't think I've seen anything like them here. Though I sure am familiar with squirrels...those we have a LOT of! And yes, they are naughty...always digging in my potted plants.

    ReplyDelete
  50. You are inspiring me - I need to get my Fall stuff going. Your door looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  51. So pretty! I love fall colors... they love so warm and inviting! Gets me thinking I should do "something" with my porch. Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Gosh your front door is so pretty! I love your wreath and your mums are so pretty! Have a great week end!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Lovely autumn photos and your door wreath is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Ah such lovely fall beauty! People here are just beginning to put up their fall decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Gorgeous door!!! My fall into winter list is getting longer by day...so much to do!!! Ahhh....!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Looks really nice. And hey, I have a very similar crysanthemum on my balcony! (visiting here for the first time I think, I popped over from Janet's blog)

    ReplyDelete
  57. Seriously how can you have 58 comments already!!!!!! I love your decorations, it looks very festive at your house. I decorated for Halloween yesterday and made my glitter leaves to hang in the window. I love Fall.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  58. Hi Amy, your autumn decor is so beautiful. I love the potted plant and how everything is color coordinated for fall. I'm sorry I missed taking part this week on Five on Friday. I didn't think my blog post was appropriate. I hope to be back next week. Enjoy your weekend. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  59. YOU are awesome good with decorations . . . color me impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Dearest Amy, your autumn decor is absolutely stunning and oh-so-charming! And your potted chrysanthemum is gorgeous! Happy fall, my dear. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  61. What a lovely autumnal welcome Amy! I wanted to make a wreath this year but just didn't get round to it. There's still time though so maybe I will try. Thanks so much for hosting. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  62. Very nice display! The lovely autumn weather has changed to horrible wind and rain over night.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx