Monday, 1 June 2015

On The Cobb at Lyme Regis

I said in my post yesterday that I would share more about The Cobb at Lyme Regis in a few days, but I decided that I couldn't wait!  The first day of June - and summer perhaps! - seemed like a good day for another seaside walk.  So todays little journey will be along The Cobb.  You can read more about Lyme Regis in my previous posts here.

The Cobb is essentially the harbour wall which provides a safe haven for the boats.  There are a couple of buildings on The Cobb as well.


This is also where the sandy part of the beach is.  You can see that families enjoy using this to sit on and build sandcastles!



When we visited the tide was out so the boats were all stranded in the sandy mud.  This does give sailors chance to walk out to their boats and do any maintenance to them though.


You can see this man was walking around quite a bit.  I had no idea what he was doing but he seemed quite happy.  I really like his yellow wellington boots!




Here you can see the yellow booted man again!


The things that look like big plastic buckets hanging off the back of the boats are indeed big plastic buckets - often called Tub Trugs - and are to protect the outboard motors on the boats.


There is a Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) boat stationed at Lyme Regis as there are at many seaside towns.  This is where the lifeboat is housed.  It can easily be launched from here straight into the sea.

I couldn't get a picture of the boat as people kept walking past and looking at it.  I didn't think that explaining I was a blogger and needed to show you would go down so well!


Now we are actually walking along The Cobb itself.



To one side all of these colourful canoes and kayaks are stacked up.  They make a great display and colourful addition and are used as well!



You can see how far we have come as in yesterdays post we walked all long in front of the buildings that you can see in this photo below.


Looking in the other direction you see that the beach is large stones.  There is now where to sit here.  If you keep walking towards the headland though that is where the fossils can be found.  Many famous fossil hunters have found very interesting specimens here and there are several fossil shops in the town selling things that have come from this area.




There are also quite a few boats stored on this area of the beach waiting to be launched when the owners want to go out to sea.


This is the outside wall of The Cobb.  As you go further along it gets even higher compared to the sea level.  We never walk on this outside wall as we are not brave enough!  Lots of people do though.




The seagulls were very happy larking around in the mud looking for food.  They are happy to wander!


I liked this boat called Wild Goose, although with the gull in the picture it occurs that perhaps it could be called Wild Gull!



A lot of boats use the harbour.  They are probably mostly fishing boats.


If you look back at my old Lyme Regis posts (here) you will see that last year when we came here this area of cobbles had been washed away.   Some of them have been replaced, but others are still being repaired.  The job is nearly done though.


You can see one of the men working on the replacement cobbles.  The newly completed area is covered with hessian to protect the mortar from the weather - this was still only April.



Another reason why we don't like to walk along the top high wall of The Cobbis because of the steps that you have to use to come down again.  These are some of the steps!  Yikes!!  Yes, just stones stuck out of the wall.  No handrail!!  Not for me at all.  Although I love to look at them.


As you reach the end of The Cobb the view changes again.  We have now gone past the harbour area.


You can see how the rocks are wearing away as the sea pounds them year after year, decade after decade.


These steps are slightly better, but not much.  The really do lean at that angle that you see there!  At least there isn't a gap between each step here.



The view looking back at the town - above - and the harbour wall - below is lovely.  A real English seaside view in my opinion.



It is amazing to see the effect that the sea has on the rocks and sand.  The patterns in the sand and all the weed that grows on the rocks.



This is the very very end of The Cobb.  A large pile of granite rocks that extends quite some way out into the sea to make a breakwater.  On the day that we visited the sea was very calm, but there are often waves breaking upon these rocks sending spray flying everywhere.


All along the walking surface of The Cobb there are odd objects embedded in which are probably old pieces of metal used to tie up boats.  You can see some of it here.  Rusting away quietly!


This little boat was waiting for the tide to come back in so that it could return to harbour again.


I leave you with a final set of steps!


I hope that you enjoyed coming along The Cobb with me today.  I have said it before, but really, if you are ever in the area it really is a great place to visit and is very good for families, couples or anyone looking for a nice place to be!

Amy

52 comments:

  1. So you resist the need to stand at the end of the Cobb staring out to sea all Meryl Streep-like?
    On a sunny day, it does look lovely (but what would the top row look like in a really bad storm?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Amy! This is a real trip down memory lane for me. we went there two years ago and really enjoyed it. I have a picture of the girls on those stone steps jutting out, they stood with their backs against the wall and it looked like they were stuck to the wall int he picture! glad I popped by. i really must get the children ready for school instead of blogging! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. such beautiful pics, Amy!!!
    thank you and happy week, xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great images - looks like a fab place to visit and those yellow boots are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When the children were young and we needed a break from routine we often used to book at very short notice one of the National Trust holiday cottages at Golden Cap. We would travel down after school on Friday and run to the top of Golden Cap in time for the most beautiful sunset. A day of walking along the cliffs, fossil hunting (I have boxes of ammonites and belemnites that the children have found over the years, must sort through them soon), kite flying, visiting the museum at Lyme and walking on the Cobb in wild weather and everyone is restored and ready to return home on Sunday evening in time for school and work the next day. But Amy I am sad you didn't walk on the Cobb and jump down the steps. For those of us who like acting out our Jane Austen fantasies this is an essential part of a visit to Lyme. "Don't talk to me of (Duke of) Monmouth, show me the exact spot where Louisa Musgrove fell", you see even Tennyson played along! Having looked at your photos I'm now going to remind myself of JA's evocative description of Lyme by re-reading 'Persuasion'. What a great start to a Monday morning, thanks Amy, thanks Blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is full of coincidences! My cousin has been staying and today she has gone off to Lyme Regis! Now I can see where she is going. I don't fancy those steps either. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy - lovely photos. Ooh those steps - you are a wise woman not to attempt them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beauty, you have really captured some wonderful pictures. Looks like a great stroll, I wouldn't fancy those steps either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely post Amy, I adore Lyme, although it's years since I've been back, but I visited the town pretty much monthly all through my growing up. I like the Cobb best when to stand on it is to be buffeted by wind and sea spray!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Cobb always makes me think of Jane Austen and Persuasion, one of my favourite books. One day I'm going to visit Lyme Regis, hopefully in the not too distant future. Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow it looks like a wonderful place, a friend of mine has just returned from Lyme Regis too, where they went fossil hunting, there is a folk song/sea shantie called the 'Wild Goose' so maybe thats where the name comes from, you got me singing it now
    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love Lyme Regis Amy, it has such a lovely old fashioned feel to it I always think, Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. We spent part of our honeymoon in Lyme Regis-- lots of happy memories relaxing on the beach. My husband even found a fossil. We had dinner at Mark Hix's restaurant over looking the bay... Thanks so much for sharing with us these photos, they've brought to mind our memorable few days there. Hope to come back one day with our girls. Enjoy your
    time there. Hope it's nice and sunny there today. X

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see there's a HUGE difference in water depth here between low and high tide!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Amy
    It was lovely to join in with your sightseeing at Lyme. I am a Jane Austen fan too, and Persuasion is my favourite of her books, so it was especially great to see the Cobb and the 'Granny's Teeth' steps where Louisa Musgrove fell. I'm with Home Slip above - I'll have to re-read the book now and watch the Amanda Root dramatization again... I don't think much else will be done today!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely, Amy. I really enjoyed my walk with you today. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. i enjoy the architecture of this area ... amazing!! unlike what i am use to in VA. i love boats of any kind ... they are too fun. such character. have a nice week. take care. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  18. thank you for the tour and loved all the photos-

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those steps really are quite scary, I'm not sure I'd want to use them either.

    ReplyDelete
  20. One of my favorite Jane Austen movies "Persuasion" was filmed at Lyme Regis and Bath, and that is where I first became acquainted with it. I live in the US and have very little chance of ever seeing Europe, but this is a charming place and I even recognized some of the film locations from your photos. I'd love to visit there. I'm a new follower of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cool photos. I can feel myself relaxing just looking at them :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another one here who always thinks of Louisa Musgrove in Jane Austen's Persuasion falling off those steps - also the image of Meryl Streep in the film of John Fowles' French Lieutenant's Woman in her cloak at the end of the Cobb, and Mary Anning getting buried for a short while under the landfall from those cliffs. You bring back some happy memories of visits we've made over the years, I must go back again soon, I've really enjoyed all your photos, thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful Amy! And feels kind of like home to me as our city is on the largest fresh water lake (so not a sea) in the world by surface area and third largest by volume. So a REALLY big lake that feels almost like an ocean. We have several marinas in the area as well and lots of rock - so loved looking at these photos to compare to my world a bit.
    Happy week ahead! xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Amy! I love that seaside view! So pretty!
    I can see why you and your husband love to visit there!
    Yes, I am a firm believer in hand rails. Always!
    Take care and thank you for sharing your trip with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely photo's Amy. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. So lovely to see it again- your post brought back many happy memories xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. It is so lovely down there. We went on a "treassure hunt" holiday there last year, and luckily found one fossil! But more excitedly for the children was the sea glass - and that actually looks like treassure! I am hoping we will return this year again and I will follow your walk! Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've never visited so thanks for the tour. Love your pictures. Can't help thinking the weed covered rocks look like giant Brussels sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a lovely place to visit! I agree those little stone steps are not for the feint of heart, which includes me. I do so miss living close to the ocean... there is nothing like the smell of sea salt in the air and of course the seagulls! :D
    Happy Monday a little late in the day.
    Hugs,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  30. The sand, the boats the seagulls -oh how they make me SO EXCITED for summer! We are camping near a lake in a couple of weeks and I can't wait to be near my version of the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amy, great pictures. I'm fascinated that the boats are sort of stranded until the tide comes back in. Looks like the bottoms of the boats would be damaged sitting in the mud, but what do I know about boating. Love the yellow boots.

    ReplyDelete
  32. beautiful!! I love that I can visit and travel without leaving my cozy home :) There is nothing like sun sand and lots and lots of beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. You show such lovely photos of an area I don't know at all except for the film and TV drama - it doesn't look as though it has changed much over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely photo's of the Cob Amy. Reminds me a lot of the film Persuasion, which was filmed there. It is one of my Jane Austen favourites.

    Have a good week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Eek, you're right, those steps aren't for the faint hearted are they. But such a lovely place to visit, I've really enjoyed seeing your photos and remembering what it's like there. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm with you - there's no way I'd use those steps either! x

    ReplyDelete
  37. You wouldn't get me on those steps either. I don't think it makes us cowards - it makes us sensible! :oD

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm sitting up in bed with my laptop and I started reading your post. I got to the third picture and looked up; here on the wall of the bedroom is a print of a painting of....somewhere...which I now know to be Lyme Regis! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for taking me on this little journey with you. I'll have to go back and read about Lyme Regis. The wall is beautiful and the landscape is breathtaking. I do love the sight of the man rambling around and enjoying his little adventure. That's what we all should be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks Amy for the lovely tour! What a beautiful area, my husband would love looking at all those beached boats. The seaside is sure pretty. I think I'd take a pass on those steps, I get vertigo so that looks like a disaster ready to happen!! Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I tell you what....you captured some amazing shots up there friend! Such a nostalgic feeling in so many of your photographs and you are right that is the perfect English seaside view! Thank you for taking us on this stunning tour! Have a wonderful week this week Amy! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow! When the tide is out, the tide is OUT!!!! LOL

    Beautiful photos! I enjoyed my little tour.

    ReplyDelete
  43. This looks like such a fun place to visit! It's funny to see all the boats in the mud. Thanks for taking us along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I can understand why our young grandson's parents go to Lyme Regis year-after-year for a short holiday break. It's very picturesque, as can be seen from your lovely photos of the boats. My DiL is an artist and the place has inspired her in her artwork and our grandson loves the fossils aspect and the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  45. There always such interesting names given to things over there. "The Cobb" ... love that! Here is would just be called what it is "Stone Pier" or something dull. Such wonderful seaside shots here too with the stranded boats and man in yellow boots ... he seems to be watching you too! There is no tide in my area. Water levels remain the same day in, day out. We have to travel further east to experience a tide. I'm surprised you didn't try those curious stairs Amy! I think I would have had to give them a whirl. And the breakwater rocks? My kids and I would be clambering all over them (while my hubby sat on shore). Are you allowed to take any fossils you see, or are they protected from people like me? Great place!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  46. I really enjoyed your photos of the Cobb, Amy. So beautiful and interesting. I wouldn't like those stairs down the wall either!! I remember how squishy the sand is along the beaches there and also the smooth rocky beaches. We spent some time at Broadstairs while there.

    ReplyDelete
  47. A beautiful seaside community, which is different in many ways from the seaside communities in my corner. Those stairs would definitely leave me hugging the wall! =D

    ReplyDelete
  48. I haven't been to Lyme Regis for ages but your photos really took me there! Great pictures and fab place.

    ReplyDelete
  49. A famous place, wish, I could be there.
    Have enjoyed your post (and the others too), thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I'm sure somebody else must have mentioned it, but I swear I've seen those steps in a movie once or twice. I remember thinking that I wouldn't have gone up them either lol

    Beautiful pictures, Amy!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  51. Oh I wish we lived closer to the sea. I loved looking at your photos Amy and seeing somewhere new.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Beautiful pictures. We visited Lyme Regis last August when we had an holiday in Dorset. I fell in love with the place and hope to go back their soon. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx