Tuesday, 16 June 2015

Obsessions

Last night I was going through some photos for another travel post - our visit to National Trust property Lanhydrock in Cornwall.  Gosh I took an awful lot of pictures.  As I worked my way through them though I enjoyed seeing it all again, which is the point of photographs isn't it.

Why is this post called "Obsessions" though I hear you ask.

Well first I must explain something to you.  If you come on a guided tour of Basildon Park you will hear me declare that I am not as obsessed with ceilings as I appear to be.  It is just that the story of the house and stories about the house can be told really well through the ceilings.  Truly, it just happens that way.

So remember, I declare that I am not obsessed with ceilings.

Except as I was going through my pictures last night I had a realisation.  It seems that I am in fact obsessed with ceilings!!!  I took so many ceiling shots that I thought I would compile them all into one post.

I hope you enjoy them!  It really isn't just me either.  As you will see, the National Trust think that ceilings and telling stories about them is important too!  Just wait until you get to the Long Gallery, the story about that ceiling is fascinating!

So I am not the only ceiling obsessive.  Thank goodness.

I hope that at least some of you are as interested in ceilings as I am.  Otherwise I worry I am going to lose a lot of readers!

I hope you will stick around though as when I have sorted out the rest of the photos of the house and garden I will share those with you.  With no ceiling shots!!!

Oh, and someday I will tell you the story of the Basildon Park ceilings - if you can bear to hear it!!


There are some wonderful light fixtures.  You can see what these ceiling bosses look like with and without a light fixture.



Above is the ceiling in the main kitchen.  It is incredibly high to allow all of the cooking smells and so on to rise up out of the way - and out of the windows.



You see, I really did take a lot of pictures of bits of ceilings!





The most incredible ceiling in the whole house though is this one.  The Long Gallery.  It is truly amazing.



If you click on to these pictures they will enlarge and you can read about why the ceiling isn't painted and also about the story that the ceiling tells.



Here you can see some of the amazing details of this incredible ceiling.



So I hope that you can also see that ceilings really are interesting and can tell us a lot about historic houses!  I hope too that you don't think that I am bonkers!

Amy

35 comments:

  1. I don't think you're bonkers, they are truly beautiful. Much better than those swirly patterns people did in the seventies lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed seeing all your clippings. Got mouth shut by seeing the architectural designs made by them in the ceilings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same about doors :o) That heavy plasterwork ceiling featuring the bible stories is amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, my quick count of how many times you wrote the words 'ceiling' or 'ceilings' in this post = 18. Hmmmm.....
    Lovely photos anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry Amy, I love ornate ceilings too! When we lived in a Victorian house way back in the 90's, I even made a mould to make little flowers to replace ones which were missing from the cornice in our bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think what I like about a good ceiling (and your photographs show some truly wonderful ceilings) is that it was considered worth spending the time to make a good ceiling, the attention to detail in something that is not in a natural eye-line. One of my favourite (and local) ceilings is the chapel ceiling in Royal Holloway - really beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love ceilings, and roofs as well. Sometimes we're so busy rushing around we fail to look up and notice the details. It's amazing how much work went into creating these lovely ceilings. You've piqued my curiosity, I'd love to here the story of Basildon's ceilings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An ornate ceiling is beautiful, Amy, and rarely seen in my country. The Long Gallery you show is stunning - and reminds me that when we toured in Italy last year, I took rather a lot of ceiling pictures too. When they are so gorgeous, how could you not? xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just the same, there's so many beautiful ceilings that you miss if you don't look up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all beautiful architectural detail, whether ceilings, windows, roofs. And when photos are our only souvenirs, we can't have too many. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Certainly not bonkers, a woman of great taste I would suggest. Like Janet I would love to hear the story of Basildon's ceilings I am quite intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's a nice obsession though! It really does pay to look up...some of the most beautiful artwork is high above our heads! I really enjoyed your photos, Amy. Amazing artwork! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amy, it is really curious how much time and effort was put into ceiling design all over Europe. Note the frescos that were painted on the ceilings. People must have spent a lot of time looking up! Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some fine ceilings there it's always important to look up, thanks for sharing
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well these are ceilings worthwhile photographing! Beautiful. I often stare at ceilings in various places, for example boring meetings or school plays and I wish the ceilings were as nice to look at as those you show today! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. A worthy obsession, I quite like them too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh but they are fascinating! And amazing to think of all the work and artistry in them! I loved seeing them so thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I can definitely see why you'd be obsessed with ceilings with ones like that! The detail is nothing short of incredible. Thank you for sharing these photos with us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those intricate barrel style ceilings are amazing! I love the less busy decorative one with the chandeliers. Just breath taking. I think I love ceilings too! Lol
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Someone must have had a crick in the neck after working on that wonderfully detailed ceiling! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. They look stunning so wonderful to see..Thanks
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amy, I thank you for sharing these ceilings and your appreciation for them as I too enjoy seeing them. When I enter an older home (young by comparison to England!) I most always note the floor, woodwork, doors and ceiling. I was in a Victorian home in town recently that is now a shop but prior to that it was government offices and the first floor ceilings were 'drop style' or suspended with panels covering the original ones. It was ugly and disappointing. Even those ceilings had to be 9 feet high so I'm guessing the originals were 10 feet or more. The owner stated the mouldings and medallions were ruined so they left the drop ceiling in. So, I appreciate seeing these photos especially the gorgeous ones of the long hall. The craftsmanship is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved all your ceiling photos.. I took some of the plantation houses we visited near New Orleans, LA. Most ceilings are very boring compared to those in your photos! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeos and beautiful! I'm glad, that you have tis "obsession" - thanks for sharing .

    (I should go to our castle-museum and make photos... )

    ReplyDelete
  25. I won't suggest that you keep looking up because you already do, Amy!
    Great photos! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Interesting photos and beautiful ceilings, the thing with ceilings is it is very easy to forget to look up and hence miss them. Your job sounds idyllic!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. You miss a lot of things if you only look downwards! Ceilings are facinating things - in old houses! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  28. It sure is fun to take the photos in the first place and THEN look through them! LOVE these ceilings!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The photos with all the intricate details are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those are some amazing ceilings! If mine looked at all like that, I may admit to being a bit obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Better ceilings than chocolate :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm a bit the same about doors and windows and gates too. The ceiling of the long gallery is well worth obsessing about - it's beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous ceilings. It's always worth looking up. Look forward to Basildon Park ceilings. Basildon Park was one of the reasons I started following your blog. x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great obsession! I am a bit the same about doors but might have to start looking up more!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Stunning ceilings! I certainly understand your "obsession!" :-) My favorite is the kitchen ceiling...it's all those warm, sturdy wooden beams that I adore...but that long gallery is amazing! Every bit of it is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx