Thursday, 11 June 2015

Crochet Blossoms - Pattern and Tutorial

When I was making my Daffodil Wreath earlier this year and I decided that it needed some additional little blooms I fiddled around making flowers until I was happy with the results.

Today I wanted to share with you how I made them, and suggest a couple of uses for these little flowers.

As you can see here, I attached them to my Wreath - they are also on my Sunflower Wreath - with a pearl headed pin stuck through the middle of the flower.



Then pushed into the polystyrene wreath they are nice and secure and work well to add a little bit of colour.


Once I had finished making these I carried on!  As you do.  Or perhaps in your case you don't.  But I do!


I used some more of these little flowers to adorn the twig lights that I have to the side of the mantel.  You can just see them here on the right hand side.



They look pretty and add some colour to the otherwise very boring brown twigs.  They look lovely during the day or in the evening with the lights on.


I promised you a pattern and tutorial.  So here it is!  Now, I did figure this out for myself, but I have no doubt that many other people have made flowers like this before, so I am not claiming that this is original.  It is just what I did.

First off is the tutorial, but I have written it all out at the end as well for those of you who just want to make up the flowers from a written pattern.

I have used UK terms.  Start with a 4mm hook and some DK yarn - Stylecraft Special DK in this case.


Chain 4


Slip stitch into first chain to form a ring


Chain 2


Treble into ring.



Chain 2


Slip stitch into ring.  You then have one completed petal.


Repeat to form second petal


Repeat again to form third petal


Repeat to form fourth petal


Finally repeat to form fifth petal


Tie off


Turn flower over, thread tail from centre of flower onto needle and thread through backs of slip stitches and trebles to close ring.  Pull tight as you go and the hole will disappear.


Voila one flower!


And the front.  If you are putting them onto something like a wreath sew in the other end and cut off the tails.  If you are tying them to something you can use the two tails and then trim as you wish.

You can then make as many of these as you like.  They are only tiny, less than an inch across.  You could make a garland of them, tie them onto gifts, sew them onto hats or all manner of things.  As well as decorating your twigs and wreaths of course!

Pattern

UK Terms
4mm Hook
DK yarn

Chain 4
Slip into first chain to form ring
*Chain 2
Treble into ring
Chain 2
Slip into ring*
Repeat from * to * 4 more times
You should then have 5 petals
Sew hole closed using tail
Sew in other tail
Cut off tails or use them to tie or sew the flower to something.

Variation - to make more frilly petals Treble into ring twice.

I hope that you will have lots of fun making flowers.  As I said, I doubt this is an original pattern, but if you make some flowers, it would be great if you would direct people here for the pattern.

Happy crocheting!

Amy

I have linked this post to

27 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial. The flowers are lovely and they could be used in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them - really tiny and so cute. Could be used for so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look very pretty with the pearl head pins on your wreath, Amy, it just finishes them off nicely! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. so delicate ... reminds me of earrings. i love / enjoy your ideas. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are adorable! Thanks for sharing :) I especially love the pearly pin idea xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice tutorial Amy!
    Love your lovely flowers:)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. They would look lovely as a trim for a hat, such a versatile little flower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty. I'm sure there's hundreds of ways these little flowers could be used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd carry on making them! They look so pretty in various places! Thanks for sharing your expertise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're lovely, Amy. Thanks for sharing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cherries on your mantel are so pretty! I'd love to follow your instructions, but time just doesn't allow at the moment, Amy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are cute little flowers and look lovely on the wreath and on the twigs. Thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Note to self - make the effort to change the mantel display!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another pattern for me to try. I can't keep up. They are really lovely. So delicate looking. X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful tutorial my friend. Love the little flowers, you did a great job.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. very very cute! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love crochet and especially things like this! They make my heart go pitter pat. ;)

    One day I will learn - but for now (for the sake of my kiddos) I must remain focused on catching up on my scrapbooking before I let myself tackle a new hobby! But one day I will because I sure love looking at adorable projects like yours!! Great job Lady.

    Flowery thoughts sent your way. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so cute! Only an inch across? That's tiny! They look great on the wreaths and in your twiggy lights.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty. You did a gear job of this tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not kidding....I think I may be able to do this! Thank you for the step by step! Would you believe I can only do lines and struggle at the thought of doing anything in the round! Ha! Beautiful work my friend...you inspire me! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice. I always say I am going to make motifs for my twig tree and change them out monthly but so far it hasn't happened. Maybe now that I have more free time, I can actually do it. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  22. These little flowers are pretty and sweet. As always your tutorial is very clear and detailed. I'll get back to this if I need to make little flowers. Thanks for sharing! X

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Amy! Thanks so much for sharing your flower tutorial at our Cooking & Crafting with J & J Link Up Party!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Amy, Lovely tutorial, I will definitely be making some of these. They are so sweet! Thank you for the tutorial. Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. You make this look so easy! :) Too cute!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx