Friday, 22 May 2015

Five On Friday

Hey, look at me, three posts in three days!  What is happening.  Spooky huh!!  I feel as though it should be Three on Wednesday or something, but that wouldn't work and in any case, it is Five On Friday!!!

Today my Five things are Five great "home/style" books that I have.  I love love love books.  They are one of my favourite things, and I really like books that I can just look at and enjoy the pictures or get ideas from if that is what I am looking for.

Although I have never straight out copied anything from any of these books - although I don't imagine that anyone does that - they have given inspiration in different ways.  Colours that go together - or don't - how to group collections of objects and different ways to display things.  The books themselves are also lovely to use to decorate with.  What looks nicer than a pile of inviting books sitting on a coffee table just waiting to be browsed.

I have to confess that I have more than Five such books, but these are Five that I chose to share with you today.  You can see just a small selection of our "home" books below.


1.  First up is Country Style by Judith and Martin Miller.  I thought that this book would be all country cottages and perhaps a bit twee.  It isn't like that at all though.



Each chapter is about a different sort of "country style" from different countries.  One of my favourites is the Scandinavian chapter.  The details that are shown are so enchanting.  I mean, can you imagine just latching your home up when you go out with a stick!



There is wonderful furniture as well.  The piece above is from the Scandinavian chapter and the room below is from the American chapter.  It is the quilt in this picture that really appeals to me.


2.  The next book is another by Judith Miller, Wooden Houses.


This really enchants me more than I can say.  I mean, look at this wonderful Scandinavian building!!  This is what every girl reading Heidi dreams of - different country I realise!!!


Can you imagine living somewhere where the interior was painted like this!  How wonderful would that be.  Of course I am not sure that I would want to do the painting!!!


There are many different sorts of homes in this book, some that are far more pared down such as this one below.  This is the sort of house that really appeals to me as somewhere to live.  The chair, white walls, eye level windows...  All of it is beautiful to my eyes.

If you like any sort of wooden home, from log cabins to beach huts, this book would appeal to you.


3.  I think that How to Decorate by Martha Stewart is probably my oldest home decorating book.


Although I have never decorated anything in the style of this book it has been an inspiration in terms of how to arrange collections of objects, colours that might go together and so on.


This mid century look (below) is one of the looks that really appeals to me.  Although I am not sure that I would want a whole wall of mirrors!!


There are chapters on many different things including one on work spaces.  You can see that the computer screen in the picture below really dates this book, but this desk would still work really well now wouldn't it.  Good job that Martha cannot see my desk right now, it never looks like this.


4.  Living in Cuba by Simon McBride and Alexandra Black is actually more of a holiday souvenir than anything else.  We went to Cuba some years ago and one of the very few things that we bought was this book.  In fact I think this is the only thing that we bought ourselves.


The homes pictured in the book are quite often as you would expect, painted in bright colours, looking very shabby with peeling paint and old American cars outside.  However, many of them are very different.  As you can see in the photo below.


This scene looking outside is also not necessarily what would expect to see in Cuba.


It really does go to show that you should not judge a book by its cover, or a country by its stereotypes!!


5.  I have saved the best for last in this selection.  My favourite of these five books is Modern by Alan Powers.  We bought this when visiting a National Trust property a few years ago, again as a souvenir.  It contains plans and details of many "modern" homes and buildings.



These are not necessarily to everyone's taste I realise, but they are to mine and these sort of homes really set my mind racing with ideas.


Many of the buildings in this book are much older than you might think, dating from early in the last century, but they still look so modern and fresh.  The uncluttered lines and pared down ornamentation really appeal to me as somewhere to live.


So that is my Five for today!  It was lovely to spend some time looking through my books to choose five to share with you and it reminded me that we really should take time to enjoy and browse through the beautiful books that we have.  Time for a new pile on the coffee table I think!

I hope that everyone in the UK has a great Bank Holiday Weekend!  Enjoy the extra day off on Monday and I hope you get to do something fun!!

Amy

********************

Thank you - as always! - for joining in last week, especially as I didn't post.  I look forward to reading your posts again this week! 



If you want to grab a Five On Friday Button or get more information about how to join in the All About Five On Friday page will tell you all that you need to know.

A little reminder in case you haven't stopped by Five On Friday recently.  The Five On Friday "opening hours" have changed and are now from 6 am on Friday until 7 pm on Saturday.  Also I will be asking everyone to either include a link or the button to my Five On Friday post within their own post, or to make reference within their post to the button if it is in their sidebar.  This is to be fair to everyone.

If you want to check out anything else about Five On Friday see the All About Five On Friday page - top right of my sidebar.

To visit other bloggers taking part, just click on the links at the end of the post.  Please do go and visit their lovely posts!

********************

39 comments:

  1. Books are so inspirational aren't they. I can imagine spending many happy hours browsing through your home titles. I used to have a lovely book of homes by the sea, perfect for daydreaming. Wishing you a good weekend Amy. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Amy - I think my favourite would be the 'Modern' book - I grew up in a 1960s built modern block in London and if I could choose where to live if money were no object then I would love to have something from that era. I'm looking forward to moving to our own home soon so it will be lovely to be able to decorate exactly as we wish. Thanks for sharing, Judy. (I'm not doing FOF today but you might like my latest post as it's about an NT property).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely books and full of ideas and inspiration, I love the Scandi ideas, not really into clean lines of modern, the shutters on the front cover of the first book are lovely and something I would like to incorporate in this house :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday Amy. loved the peak into your books. x all those windows in those last houses, they must be fantastically filled with light x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love books and love decadent coffee books too. Just wish I had more spare to store and display. I get very excited about such books and think oooh I'll do that and this but in reality for whatever reason I do not!! My favourite if your choices I think is the last one too. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great collection of books, the first one appealed to me Countrystyle. I am going to try and get a peek at it next time I go to the library. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, such a great collection!
    I very like decorating books and all what is with pictures...
    From the series "Living in Cuba" I have Greece, Bali, Morokko, Mexico, Provence, Tuscany. Wonderful books!
    My books are mostly random books, which I find in a sale shop for little money or at a flea market... and that was for me a very great find!
    Have a nice time and enough energy for all, what is to do

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Amy, I so enjoyed this selection of books you presented. Each is so special in their own way. I think I'm partial to the Scandinavian design one. I wish you a wonderful, holiday weekend. Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Duh had a blonde moment and added the wrong link now I have corrected it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love home books and interior design! I like the Scandinavian look and I adore 1930's houses like the white one! I would also love a desk but alas we do not have the room! A lovely five Amy! Have a lovely weekend and thank you for hosting x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love 'house' books too! But don't you find that as the years pass your taste changes and the books look 'old'? I'm getting quite allergic to the whole shabby chic/vintage look I loved so much two years ago...

    (a good excuse to update the collection I think!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My book collection is lacking - I don't have any home books! I went to Cuba a few years ago - I recall the trip to Havana and sugar plantations in the South of the island being full of surprises.
    Enjoy the Bank Holiday x

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great collection Amy, it is great just to pick up a book and flick through the pages, my weakness is cookery books, I love looking at the recipes but very rarely make them and please don't get me started on gardening books, have a great weekend. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Amy - the house on the cover of Modern Britain looks like NT property The Homewood in Esher, Surrey. I wonder if you have visited it? If not, I am sure that you would enjoy seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely selection of books Amy. Especially the one on Cuba which brought back memories of our trip there several years ago. I have quite a few "home inspiration" books from when I was studying interior design (which I eventually decided was not for me) but yours are all new to me. Perhaps because mine are all out of date 😉

    ReplyDelete
  16. What lovely books. Great to have such wonderful sources of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely. Is that 2 Willow Road in Hampstead among those modern houses? I really enjoyed a tour there. Love that quilt as well! Have fun x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely collection of books - I don't have any home books but I do like a nice home magazine! I love that quilt too; so pretty. Have al ovely, homely week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never cared for Martha Stewart...nor her ideas of decor, so I wouldn't buy anything associated with her. But the one you share of the Cuban styles...I like that very much...the vivid colors, the little bit of pizzazz here and there...AND the ocean view!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I also have that Martha Stewart book! Bought at a garage sale! Her paint colours have inspired me!
    Have a great weekend!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I prefer homestyle magazines to books, but love them for all the same reasons as you Amy. Nice to see you got your blogging mojo back X

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love these type of coffee table books, ones you can just pick up and browse whenever you've got a spare five minutes. There's so much inspiration you can take away from them too. I love the view from the house in Cuba, imagine having that outside your door.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely ADORE modern homes! I watched a DVD of Sherlock over and over,just to see the fabulous modern home!
    Our house is wooden...did you find it in your book? Thought not!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amy, I prefer the old fashioned look, and really adore the one in the attic with the windows.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm not much into modern architecture, prefer vintage. Lovely books though.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have that MS book too. Her design style is classic and I love her choices in colour. You can't beat classic-lined furniture, too. I guess that is why Martha has ha such universal appeal for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have a wonderful collection of "home" books. That Scandinavian log house really appeals to me. Have a great holiday weekend (ours was last week here in Canada).

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful collection Amy! I love the country style one and the wood one that shows a lot of Scandinavian designs. The area of the northwoods where I live we have a lot of folks of Scandinavian descent - so you actually see a lot of those styles or furniture more than you would think for being here in the states. I'm not of that descent but I sure appreciate the beauty of it. Those painted walls and ceilings are amazing!!

    Happy weekend dear Gal! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Decorating books are so much fun to page through. Although ideas are rarely copied directly, they offer so much inspiration. I love the Scandinavian look. Enjoy your long weekend. Ours was last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  30. a nice array of books to give you some ideas. I love seeing decorating ideas and try to include them in my house if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  31. They look great books to browse through for ideas, I like the Scandinavian style, also the modern one, I love the art deco style xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fascinating! I don't actually have any home books like these. My bookcases are stuffed full of cookery books, sewing/knitting/crochet/quilting books and a few odd ball things like books on how they built the Forth Bridge! I really should go through them and see what I have! :oD

    ReplyDelete
  33. I would be very happy with that set of books...
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh Amy, that Scandinavian Country Style is out of this world! I could just sit and stare at my screen with delight. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I wonder how much longer Cuba will look like the pictures in the book once the American companies move in. It'll be sad to see times change in one way, but surely the progress can only be a good thing for the Cuban people xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ahhh, it's got to be country style for me.. bumpkin that I am.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I would love to be able to sit and drink some tea and look through those great books of yours.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  38. I could spend a very happy afternoon with these books.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have a few decorating books too, although I haven't looked through them for quite some time now. I enjoyed browsing through these books of yours. With so many different decorating styles to choose from, I've never been able to say which is my favourite. I like the country looks, but also the minimalist modern styles too. It's always fun to browse through these types of books and dream though ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx